The Cleveland Indians are seeking a Data Architect for Baseball Systems. This person will design, implement, and manage the Baseball Department’s information architecture. The Data Architect will partner with the Baseball Analytics and Software Development groups to maintain data infrastructure, support needs, implement solutions, and drive innovation in baseball’s data-driven decision process. Key functions will include data modeling, integration, warehousing, and consumption.
See below for the full job description:
The primary purpose of the job is to design, implement, and manage the Baseball Department’s information architecture. The Data Architect will partner with the Baseball Analytics and Software Development groups to maintain data infrastructure, support needs, implement solutions, and drive innovation in baseball’s data-driven decision process. Key functions will include data modeling, integration, warehousing, and consumption.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
• Understand and document existing database structures, historical design decisions, business rules, and future requirements
• Develop and document a comprehensive information model that describes the data and maps the workflow that transform and manipulates it into usable information.
• Ensure “single version of the truth” consistency across applications and reports
• Create and manage ETL (extract, transform, load) data integration processes
• Understand the format, definitions, limitations, and content of external and internal data feeds
• Reconcile differences across data sources and consolidate into a single master repository
• Develop processes ensuring data standards, security, stewardship, lineage, and metadata management.
• Spearhead efforts to identify, obtain and integrate new data sources useful for decision-making.
• Design and manage a data warehouse to support reporting and analytics
• Administer the business database servers, tuning the server for performance, managing storage, etc.
• Oversee the design, evaluation, selection, implementation and support of database systems and related technologies
• Review and assess technical proposals requesting changes or upgrades to the existing databases.
• Support data and reporting requirements for a variety of applications, analysts, and end-users in all departments.
• Provide technical and strategic advice of the management in the creation and implementation of new data standards, databases, products, and vendors.
Requirements Education and Work Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Computer Engineering or related field.
• Information technology experience.
• Business intelligence, data warehousing, OLAP, and/or data integration experience.
• Proven data modeling experience.
• Experience designing, implementing, and managing large and complex data warehouses and cubes in Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services.
• Thorough knowledge of design and integration principles for complex, heterogeneous databases
• Experience with ETL and BI reporting tools (e.g. Microsoft SSIS & SSRS).
• Advanced knowledge in query development, including SQL, MDX, and stored procedures.
• Experience using XML and/or JSON formatted data.
• Knowledgeable about software development best practices and long-term maintainability of code
• Ability to effectively diagnose, isolate, and resolve complex problems pertaining to data infrastructure, integrity, and incompatibilities
• Familiarity with baseball and sabermetrics strongly desirable
• Experience as a database administrator (DBA) desirable
• Experience supporting or using statistical and/or data mining applications is desirable.
• Experience in a .NET programming language desirable.
• Familiarity with any of application development and/or web technologies is desirable.
• Ability to work long hours, evenings, and weekends required
• Effective communication with both co-workers and guests.
• Reads, speaks and comprehends English effectively.
• Basic understanding of organizational structure, goals, and mission.
• Ability to develop and maintain successful working relationship with members of the Front Office
• Ability to act according to the organizational values at all times
• Represents the Indians in a positive fashion to all business partners and the general public.
• Ability to lift and carry items up to 15 lbs.
• Ability to sit for an entire shift.
• Ability to move throughout all areas and levels of the ballpark.
• Ability to work in a diverse environment.
To read more and apply, please visit: https://re21.ultipro.com/CLE1000/JobBoard/JobDetails.aspx?__ID=*372D29327FAEFB0F or http://www.indians.com/jobs
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now