The Seattle Mariners are working to build a winning team with exceptionally talented people! If you are passionate about baseball and eager to make an impact using your skills in information management, learn more about this exciting opportunity to join our Baseball Operations team!
Job Title: Baseball Projects Intern
Department: Baseball Projects
Reports To: Asst. Director, Baseball Projects
Status: Part-time, Nonexempt
Dates: Must be available to start by July 1st, 2021. Internship will run ~9 months. Preference will be given to candidates who can start by February 1st, 2021.
Primary Objective: The Baseball Projects team sits at the intersection of baseball analytics and broader baseball operations, organizing information and processes across player development, player acquisition, in-game strategy, and more.
- Provide quantitative support to all aspects of player development, including next-morning analysis, player goal setting, and ad hoc studies.
- Systemize advance scouting processes across major & minor league system.
- Organize player pools & information to streamline player acquisition processes.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, computer science, mathematics or any other STEM field related to data science preferred. Equivalent, relevant work will be considered in lieu of formal education on a case by case basis.
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA’s):
- Proficiency handling large datasets in R, SQL, Python, and/or comparable languages
- Demonstrated initiative as a team-oriented leader
- Working knowledge of baseball analytics, strategy, and trends
- Shiny application or other web development experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills with proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Self-motivated, creative, and innovative with a high degree of integrity and attention to detail
- Experience building predictive models
- Ability to communicate in Spanish
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Interested and qualified applicants may apply through the following link:
In addition, please visit: www.mariners.com/jobs for more information.
The Seattle Mariners is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now