Position: 2019 Baseball Video Scouting Internship
Location: Coplay, PA
Sports Info Solutions, originally founded as Baseball Info Solutions, is looking for highly motivated individuals with a desire to work in the baseball industry. Video Scouts will have a chance to make an immediate impression on the company. Each Video Scout will be collecting data that is directly used by SIS clients (including major league teams) for advance scouting and evaluation purposes. Not only will the Video Scouts become more familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of hundreds of amateur and professional players, but they will also learn the ins and outs of the baseball statistics industry.
Former Video Scouts have risen rapidly through Major League front offices after getting their start watching two to three games per day at SIS. In the words of one former Video Scout and current Vice President of Baseball Operations, “My summer at [BIS] was the best baseball experience of my life.” Major League teams frequently approach SIS for recommendations when they need to fill a position within their organization, and SIS’ top video scouts each year routinely land team internships and/or full-time jobs.
SIS takes pride in making their internships great development opportunities for those looking to get their start in baseball. In addition to gaining invaluable experience watching thousands of players across different levels, they offer introductory classes that cover writing scouting reports and using the database management language, SQL. They also provide insight and advice from previous SIS Video Scouts who have branched out into a variety of areas in the sports industry.
- Score and pitch chart MLB, MiLB and amateur games using specialized computer software
- Check the accuracy and validity of data
- Prepare and analyze statistical data for delivery to customers
- Assist with the production of the 2020 Bill James Handbook
- Provide administrative support to the full-time staff
- A starting hourly rate of $7.75 and/or college course credit will be offered.
- Each Video Scout will also be eligible for regular raises based on performance.
- There will also be opportunities to sign up to work overtime to earn extra income (opportunities will depend on work levels throughout the year).
SIS offers two unique start dates for this position. The first begins February 4th, 2019. It will last for a period of four to five months into early June, with the possibility of extending further based on company workload and the Video Scout’s performance. The second begins on March 6th, 2019. This will last five to six months into early September, again with a possibility of extending longer.
To apply, please use this link to submit your application, and tell them your friends at Baseball Prospectus sent you.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus.Subscribe now