Job Purpose: The Baseball Systems Developer will be responsible for developing, maintaining, testing and implementing web based, packaged, and/or mobile applications to support the Baseball Operations staff. The Systems Developer reviews, analyzes and develops information systems including planning, design, develop, testing, debugging and installation to support the applications and systems of the organization. May be expected to write documentation to describe program development, logic, coding, and corrections.
- Work with the Information Technology department, Baseball Systems Development staff, Analytics staff, and senior Baseball Operations staff to understand department needs and develop technical solutions that integrate existing and future applications into the organization’s information systems.
- Employ an iterative software development approach to ensure quick roll-out along with incremental improvements to baseball systems over time.
- Create specifications through gathering and documentation of user requirements as needed.
- Work with Baseball Operations staff to prototype and implement user interfaces that are efficient, user-friendly, and aesthetically pleasing.
- Provide time estimates for programming tasks based on defined project scope.
- Develop responsive web, mobile, and desktop applications while making use of industry best practices and recommended coding standards to write clear, readable, and efficient code.
- Ensure code quality with the use of automated unit and integration testing.
- Responsible for training staff on use of system, including in-person training or videos, and development and maintenance of a reference manual as needed.
- Provide ongoing support and troubleshooting of all baseball systems, including upgrades to take advantage of new technology.
- Adhere to Reds Information Technologies security standards, support protocols, and server hardware / software build outs.
- Minimum of a BS or equivalent in Computer Science, Information Systems or equivalent; advanced degree preferred.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience developing enterprise level applications utilizing the Microsoft technology stack including the Microsoft .NET framework.
- Requires past working experience in all phases of the systems development life cycle (SDLC), including planning, designing, developing, testing, and deployment of information systems.
- Interface successfully with functional users and clients.
- Proven track record of building customer relationships.
- Proficient in Microsoft .NET using C# and WebAPI / MVC Framework.
- Mobile development, relational SQL knowledge, and cloud services are preferred skills.
- Ability to apply business and industry knowledge to internal applications, databases and systems. Additionally, the position requires developing, reporting from, and integrating existing applications.
- Passion for baseball, strong intellectual curiosity, and ability to work with a team framework highly desired.
- Candidate must be available to work non-traditional hours (various nights, weekends and holidays).
- Adhere to Cincinnati Reds Organization Policies and Procedures.
- Act as a role model within and outside the Cincinnati Reds Organization.
- Performs duties as workload necessitates.
- Demonstrate flexible and efficient time management and ability to prioritize workload.
- Meet Department productivity standards.
The Cincinnati Reds are an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the Cincinnati Reds to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, sex, age, disability, citizenship status, marital status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now