The pro scouting department of the Braves has found some success in picking off the scrap heaps of others, and they might of found something in Jaime. Once an interesting power arm in the Nationals system, Jaime missed all of 2010 and 2011 after Tommy John surgery and some delays in his rehab, but the 24-year-old Dominican has found all of his arm strength and then some, sitting at 97-98 mph this year and touching 101. With 44 strikeouts in 34 innings and just 20 hits allowed, his missing plenty of bats, but he still needs to refine his developing curveball, and we'll get a better sense of his ability when he reaches the upper levels.
Others Of Note:
- Oswaldo Arcia, OF, Twins (Double-A New Britain): 3-for-5, 2 R, RBI, 2 K. Hits in 14 of 17 games overall; .303/.365/.439 since promotion.
- Engel Beltre, OF, Rangers (Double-A Frisco): 3-for-5, HR (7), 2 R, 3 RBI, SB. CS. Every once in a while he'll still tease you with a game like this; just .237/.280/.376 in 79 games.
- Bobby Borchering, OF, Diamondbacks (Double-A Mobile): 1-for-4, HR (1), R, RBI, K. First hit in nine at-bats since earning promotion; hit .277/.340/.534 at High-A Visalia, including 11 home runs in June.
- Lewis Brinson, OF Rangers (Rookie-level AZL Rangers): 3-for-5, 2 2B, HR (1), 3 R, 4 RBI, 2 K. First home run but 13 of 17 hits have gone for extra bases; .298/.365/.632 overall.
- Nick Castellanos, 3B, Tigers (Double-A Erie): 2-for-4, HR (4), R, 3 RBI. Hard to see how sustainable this is with two walks and 26 strikeouts in 110 at-bats; .300/.304/.482 in 26 games since promotion.
- A.J. Cole, RHP, Athletics (Low-A Burlington): 6 IP, 4 H, 2 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 9 K. Continues to impress since demotion, and at 20, he's still young for the league; 2.44 ERA in nine starts with 52 Ks in 44.1 innings.
- Zack Cox, 3B, Cardinals (Triple-A Memphis): 3-for-4, HR (6), 2 R, RBI. Has a history of slowly adjusting to new levels; hitting .400 in last 20 games to lift OPS 136 points to .262/.305/.418.
- Delino DeShields, 2B, Astros (Low-A Lexington): 2-for-5, 2 R, RBI, BB, K, 2 SB (60). That stolen base total would be a big number if not for Billy Hamilton; .278/.386/.401 in impressive bounce back season.
- Brett Eibner, OF, Royals (High-A Wilmington): 3-for-5, 2B, HR (11), 2 R, 3 RBI. Just when you're ready to write him off; 7-for-15 with four doubles and two home runs in last four games and .204/.309/.440 overall.
- Nolan Fontana, SS, Astros (Low-A Lexington): 1-for-1, R, RBI, 5 BB, SB. Pro debut for second-round pick who was known for his approach.
- Grant Green, UT, Athletics (Triple-A Sacramento): 4-for-5, RBI, CS. Second straight four-hit game; .298/.340/.454 overall.
- Zach Green, 3B, Phillies (Rookie-level GCL): 2-for-4, 3B, HR (1), R, 4 RBI. Third-round pick is big kid with raw power; .333/.414/.625 in seven games.
- Billy Hamilton, SS, Reds (High-A Bakersfield): 3-for-5, 2B, 3 R, 2 K, 2 SB (103). Hitting .326/.415/.444 among rumors that he'll move to Double-A after the Futures Game.
- Alen Hanson, 2B, Pirates (Low-A West Virginia): 4-for-5, HR (15), R, 2 RBI, SB. One of the most surprising seasons in the minors, and with five more home runs in the last ten games, it's hard to call the power a fluke; .330/.391/.599 in 80 games.
- Manny Machado, SS, Orioles (Double-A Bowie): 1-for-3, HR (7), 2 R, 2 RBI, BB. 27 total bases in last ten games as he's starting to play up to the scouting reports; .287/.350/.423 in 83 games.
- Justin O'Conner, C, Rays (Short-season Hudson Valley): 1-for-4, HR (2), 2 R, 3 RBI, BB. 2010 first-round pick showing first signs of life offensively; .318/.343/.576 in 16 games but still 18 strikeouts.
- Adys Portillo, RHP, Padres (Low-A Fort Wayne): 5 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 5 BB, 5 K. Plus-plus fastball and now we'll see how the command and secondaries develop; 1.65 ERA with 76 Ks in 81.2 innings.
- Roman Quinn, SS, Phillies (Short-season Williamsport): 3-for-4, R, BB, K, 2 SB. 2011 second-round pick is absolute burner with little power and huge questions about defense; .282/.393/.338 in 17 games.
- Addison Russell, SS, Athletics (Rookie-level AZL Athletics): 3-for-4, 2 R, RBI, SB. First-round pick hitting .448/.600/.724 in first nine pro games.
- Josh Rutledge, SS, Rockies (Double-A Tulsa): 3-for-4, 2B, R, BB, K. Probably not a shortstop in the end, but has believers in the bat; .345 in 28 games since June 1 and .302/.336/.494 overall.
- Edward Salcado, 3B, Braves (High-A Lynchburg): 3-for-3, 2B, 4 R, RBI, K. Needs to get bat going because defensive reviews are rough; .265/.312/.416 overall.
- Carlos Sanchez, 2B, White Sox (High-A Winston-Salem): 3-for-4, RBI, BB, K, SB. Just keeps hitting line drives; .320/.378/.398 in 81 games.
- Gary Sanchez, C, Yankees (High-A Tampa): 2-for-4, HR (1), R, RBI, 2 K. 4-for-13 since promotion to High-A; still just 19 and one of the better offensive prospects around.
- Tony Sanchez, C, Pirates (Triple-A Indianapolis): 2-for-3, HR (3), R, RBI, BB, K. Home runs in three straight games but still hitting just .215/.253/.380 in 21 games.
- Jonathan Singleton, 1B, Astros (Double-A Corpus Christi): 2-for-4, 2B, 3B, 2 RBI, BB. Has recovered from brutal June with 16 total bases in last four games; .272/.389/.489 overall.
- Zach Wheeler, RHP, Mets (Double-A Binghamton): 7.1 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 6 K. Back to form after a couple of rough outings; 2.62 ERA with 88 Ks in 92.2 innings.
- Josh Whitaker, OF, Athletics (High-A Stockton): 2-for-5, HR (15), 2 R, 4 RBI, K. Big, right-handed power source with too many strikeouts; 11 home runs in last 24 games and up to .287/.347/.500.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now