Olt is the hottest hitter in the minors, slugging seven home runs in his last five days to up his triple-slash line to .316/.416/.641, and it's time to start figuring out what to do with him. He's clearly not getting to Texas at the hot corner with Adrian Beltre signed long term, and while he's playing first base once in a while, it's certainly not enough to think that's where the Rangers see his path at this time. Although with the recent struggles of Mitch Moreland, it's at least something to think about.
Others Of Note:
- Javier Baez, SS, Cubs (Low-A Peoria): 3-for-4, 3B, RBI. 2011 first-round pick has shown an explosive bat early one; 10-for-19 in last five games and .343/.410/.600 in nine.
- Hiram Burgos, RHP, Brewers (Double-A Huntsville): 7 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6 K. Not much in the velocity department but a deep arsenal and plus command.
- Nick Castellanos, 3B, Tigers (Double-A Erie): 2-for-5, K. 4-for-8 in two Double-A games isn't enough evidence for any real conclusion, but it's pretty clear the kid can rake.
- Garin Cecchini, 3B, Red Sox (Low-A Greenville): 3-for-5, R, RBI, SB. Hitting .347 in last 30 games; .314/.396/.451 overall with a surprising 20 stolen bases.
- Gerardo Concepcion, LHP, Cubs (Low-A Peoria): 5.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 4 K. Early scouting reports have not been kind; projecting as back-end starter or middle reliever.
- Matt Den Dekker, OF, Mets (Double-A Binghamton): 3-for-4, 2B, 3B, R, BB. Big strikeout rate (60 in 220 ABs) makes one wonder how long he can keep it up; 9-for-15 in last four games and .318/.382/.545 in 54 games.
- Tyler Cloyd, RHP,, Phillies (Triple-A Lehigh Valley): 8 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 7 K. Doesn't have much stuff but sure knows how to pitch; 2.26 ERA in eight starts with .189 opponents average.
- Jose Fernandez, RHP, Marlins (Low-A Greensboro): 7 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 7 K. Has struck out 30 over 20 shutout innings in last four outings while allowing just nine hits. 1.34 ERA with 85 Ks in 67 innings.
- Billy Hamilton, SS, Reds (High-A Bakersfield): 1-for-3, 2 BB, R, 4 SB (67). I guess he thought he wasn't running enough, as he has 27 stolen bases in his last 15 games; .322/.410/.452 overall.
- Ryan Kalish, OF, Red Sox (Triple-A Pawtucket): 2-for-3, HR (2), 2 R, RBI, BB K. Sure it's two games, but it's fun to type a triple-slash line of .800/.899/2.000.
- Ryan LaMarre, OF, Reds (Double-A Pensacola): 3-for-4, R, K. Good athletic with speed, an approach and too many Ks; .283/.374/.381 in 60 games.
- Rymer Liriano, OF, Padres (High-A Lake Elsinore): 4-for-4, 3 RBI, CS. 16-for-29 during eight game hitting streak and up to .300/.367/.429 overall as only power has been disappointing.
- Telvin Nash, OF/1B, Astros (High-A Lancaster): 1-for-4, HR (16), R, RBI, 3 K. One of the weirder lines around with 26 of 42 hits for extra bases and 95 strikeouts in 197 at-bats; .213/.316/.508 overall.
- Eduardo Rodriguez, LHP, Orioles (Low-A Delmarva): 6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 5 K. 19-year-old southpaw has plenty of polish and solid stuff; 2.09 ERA with .203 opponent's average.
- Cory Spangenberg, 2B, Padres (High-A Lake Elsinore): 2-for-4, HR (1), 2 R, RBI, BB. Hitting .350 in 35 games since ugly April; .306/.348/.417 in 58 games.
- Oscar Taveras, OF, Cardinals (Double-A Springfield): 2-for-5, HR (12), 2 R, 2 RBI, K. Has pulled out of mini-slump with seven hits and two home runs in last two games; .318/.370/.588 overall and still 19 for two more week.
- Chris Tillman, RHP, Orioles (Triple-A Norfolk): 6.2 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 7 K. Oh, who knows?
- Kolten Wong, 2B, Cardinals (Double-A Springfield): 2-for-5, HR (5), R, 2 RBI, 2 K. Third straight two-hit game; .315/.378/.458 in 51 games.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now