The Boston Red Sox are seeking an Analyst for the team’s Baseball Analytics department. The role will support all areas of Baseball Operations while working closely with Director of Baseball Analytics, and our team of analysts.
This is an opportunity to work in a fast-paced, intellectually curious environment and to impact player personnel and strategic decision making.
- Statistical modeling and quantitative analysis of a variety of data sources, for the purpose of player evaluation, strategic decision-making, decision analysis, etc.
- Effectively present analyses through the use of written reports and data visualization to disseminate insights to members of the Baseball Operations leadership.
- Maintain working expertise of leading-edge analytics, including publicly available research and novel statistical approaches, in order to recommend new or emerging techniques, technologies, models, and algorithms.
- Other projects and related duties as directed by the Director, Baseball Analytics, and other members of Baseball Operations leadership.
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical field such as statistics, predictive analytics, data science, engineering, applied math, physics, quantitative social sciences, computer science, computer vision, or operations research.
- · Masters, PhD, or equivalent experience in one of the aforementioned fields preferred.Advanced understanding of statistical methods or machine learning techniques.
- Proficiency with modern database technologies including SQL.
- Demonstrated experience with programming languages (e.g., R or Python).
- Demonstrated ability to communicate technical ideas to non-technical audiences using data visualization.
- · Attention to detail while also having the ability to work quickly and balance multiple priorities.Ability to work evening, weekend, and holiday hours is a must.
- Other programming and database skills are a plus.
The Red Sox (or FSM) requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment, subject to applicable legal requirements.
Prospective employees will receive consideration without discrimination based on race, religious creed, color, sex, age, national origin, handicap, disability, military/veteran status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or protected genetic information.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now