The Cleveland Indians Baseball Research & Development group is seeking to hire an experienced data scientist to use advanced machine learning techniques to enhance our ability to quantify the game of baseball. In this role, you will work with complex high-dimensional, spatiotemporal data such as video, player tracking, and biomechanics data. You will use these data sources to help the team acquire the best possible players (i.e. trades, free agency, draft) and develop them into members of a championship-caliber team. As a machine-learning expert within the research team, you will be responsible for model conception, design, and implementation. We are open to a remote role for the right candidate, but relocation to Cleveland, OH is preferred.
- Design, build, test, and deploy statistical and/or machine learning models to support all facets of baseball operations, including scouting, player development, and the major league team.
- Integrate and share important findings published in the fast-paced machine learning academic literature.
- Effectively communicate actionable insights to key stakeholders across the organization.
- Advanced degree or equivalent experience in a quantitative field such as Statistics, Computer Science, Economics, Machine Learning, or Operations Research.
- Strong programming skills in a language such as R or Python to work efficiently at scale with large data sets.
- Desire to continue learning about data science applications in baseball.
- Demonstrated research experience in a sports context (baseball is a plus).
- Experience with a database language such as SQL (NoSQL experience is a plus).
- Represents the Cleveland Indians in a positive fashion to all business partners and the general public.
- Ability to develop and maintain successful working relationship with members of the Front Office.
- Ability to act according to the organizational values and service excellence at all times.
- Ability to work with multicultural populations and have a commitment to fairness and equality.
- Ability to work extended days and hours, including holidays and weekends.
- Ability to work in a diverse and changing environment.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now