The Cleveland Indians are seeking an analyst to join the team’s Baseball Research and Development group. The position will use the team’s proprietary data to build tools and resources that help the team across all facets of baseball operations. The ideal candidate will possess a strong foundation in statistics and/or data science, the ability to effectively communicate findings to colleagues in non-technical roles, and a passion for learning more about baseball. Strong applicants will demonstrate curiosity, creativity, and a drive to learn new concepts. We are open to a remote role for the right candidate, but relocation to Cleveland, OH is preferred.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Analyze and interpret baseball data.
- Research, build, test, and deploy statistical and/or machine learning models to support Baseball Operations.
- Visualize data in concise, readable formats for non-technical staff members.
- Communicate research findings to key stakeholders across the organization.
- Demonstrated experience or degree in a quantitative field such as statistics, mathematics, computer science, operations research, economics, or data science.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems in a data-driven way.
- Passion for baseball analytics and/or sports science.
- Proficiency in at least one statistical programming language (e.g. R, Python).
We are looking for a variety of skill sets. If you have demonstrated experience with any of the following, you may be who we are looking for.
Knowledge of advanced baseball statistics and publicly available baseball research
- Demonstrated Baseball research experience
- Bayesian statistics
- Database languages (e.g. SQL)
- Computer vision (e.g. OpenCV, CNN)
- Deep learning frameworks (e.g. Tensorflow, Pytorch)
- Represents the Cleveland Indians in a positive fashion to all business partners and the general public.
- Ability to develop and maintain successful working relationship with members of the Front Office.
- Ability to act according to the organizational values and service excellence at all times.
- Ability to work with multicultural populations and have a commitment to fairness and equality.
- Ability to work extended days and hours, including holidays and weekends.
- Ability to work in a diverse and changing environment.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now