JOB SUMMARY: The Detroit Tigers are currently seeking a full-time Analyst in the Baseball Operations Department. This role will be responsible for performing analyses and conducting research within Baseball Operations. This position will report to the Director, Baseball Analytics.
- Perform advanced quantitative analysis to improve Baseball Operations decision-making, including predictive modeling and player projection systems.
- Complete ad hoc data queries and effectively present analysis through the use of written reports and data visualizations.
- Assist with the integration of baseball analysis into our proprietary tools and applications.
- Contribute to baseball decision-making by generating ideas for player acquisition, roster construction and in-game strategies.
- Support the current data warehousing process within Baseball Operations.
- Monitor, identify and recommend new or emerging techniques, technologies, models and algorithms.
- Meet with vendors and make recommendations for investment in new data and technology resources.
- Other projects as directed by Baseball Operations leadership team.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated expert-level knowledge of baseball-specific data, modern statistical techniques, and sabermetric analysis.
- Expertise with SQL and relational databases is required.
- Relevant work experience with statistical software (R, STATA, SPSS, SAS, or similar) and scripting languages such as Python.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate difficult and complex concepts to colleagues possessing a wide range of backgrounds and perspectives.
- Degree or equivalent experience in statistics, mathematics, computer science, or a related quantitative field.
- Team player.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends and holidays as dictated by the baseball calendar.
- Willing and able to relocate to the Detroit metro area.
- Office environment.
- Evening, weekend, and holiday hours required.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now