The Phillies are looking for interns. If you meet the criteria below, email Scott Freedman at SFreedman@Phillies.com and tell him Baseball Prospectus sent you!
The Philadelphia Phillies seek passionate, knowledgeable and highly motivated individuals with a desire to work in our Baseball Operations Department. Interns will primarily focus on Baseball Analytics with the opportunity to be exposed to all facets of the Department. The internship will include salary and benefits and will end in December. Consideration will also be given to exceptional candidates who are only available during the summer months.
- Support all functions of Department by performing advanced statistical analysis on large volumes of baseball data and extracting key information to apply to decision-making processes
- Design, test, implement and maintain proprietary tools and metrics while also monitoring and incorporating publically available baseball research
- Develop interfaces and data imports to facilitate use of data and analysis
- Assist with ad-hoc research projects and present results to staff in a coherent, straightforward manner
- Track performances of prospective salary arbitration eligible players
- Provide administrative support to staff as needed
- Experience working with large datasets and statistical modeling
- Familiarity with advanced metrics, statistical analysis techniques and current baseball research and baseball data
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to take initiative and work collaboratively
- Keen attention to detail
- Professional attitude, work ethic and ability to maintain confidentiality of work materials and issues as appropriate
- Demonstrated passion for and general knowledge of baseball
- Experience working with database systems, analytical tools and web development
- Knowledge of SQL/MySQL, Oracle, R, SPSS or equivalents and how they apply to baseball
- Advanced degree in a quantitative field of study
- Specialized training, certifications or published research
- Practical work experience in baseball industry
- Institutional knowledge of drafts, important industry dates and transactional mechanics
- Collegiate or professional playing experience
Interns must be willing and able to relocate to Philadelphia and work long hours, including nights, weekends and holidays. Interested applicants should direct their cover letter, resume and related work product to Scott Freedman at SFreedman@Phillies.com.