Thanks to Jason Martinez and Clint Chisam of MLB Depth Charts, we'll now be bringing you daily news, notes, transactions, injury updates, and notable performances from the previous day's games…throughout the entire season! And if you like what you see here, don't forget to check out MLBDC's Insider subscription, which also includes starting pitcher rankings and matchups, top 25 batter vs. pitcher stat rankings, lineup tracker (includes lineups from past seven games), rotation report, stat tracker, and more!
Probable Pitchers for July 3, 2013
PITCHf/x cards of today's probable pitchers can be found here: BrooksBaseball.net Probable Pitchers
Yesterday's Game Recaps:
- Reds 2B Brandon Phillips hit a two-run homer.
- Reds OF Shin-Soo Choo reached base four times, going 2-for-2 with two walks.
- Giants SP Tim Lincecum allowed three runs in 5 1/3 innings in a loss to the Reds on Tuesday.
- Reds SP Homer Bailey threw the first no-hitter of the year finishing with one walk and nine strikeouts.
- Mets SP Jeremy Hefner allowed one run over seven innings scattering four hits and striking out six.
- Diamondbacks SP Patrick Corbin surrendered five earned runs over six innings.
- Nationals SP Stephen Strasburg deserved another win but got another no-decision, tossing seven scoreless innings allowing three hits and striking out eight.
- Brewers 3B Juan Francisco walked twice and had a two-RBI double.
- Braves OF Justin Upton went 3-for-4 with three runs scored.
- Marlins 1B Logan Morrison went 2-for-4 with a home run and two RBI.
- Diamondbacks 3B Martin Prado went 3-for-4 with a home run.
- Braves 3B Chris Johnson went 3-for-4 with two RBI and two runs scored.
- Marlins SP Tom Koehler allowed three runs — two earned — in five innings of a no-decision against the Braves on Tuesday.
- Braves SP Kris Medlen allowed three runs in six innings to earn the win.
- Phillies SP Jonathan Pettibone allowed one run over 5 2/3 innings while striking out six.
- Pirates SP Brandon Cumpton allowed three runs over 5 2/3 innings.
- Phillies 1B Ryan Howard went 2-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Dodgers SP Clayton Kershaw tossed a complete game shutout while striking out eight.
- Rockies SP Roy Oswalt gave up five runs and nine hits over 5 innings.
- Dodgers got homers from Adrian Gonzalez and Yasiel Puig.
- Yankees 2B Robinson Cano slugged his 20th home run of the season.
- Yankees SP Phil Hughes tossed seven innings of one-run ball Tuesday in the Yankees' 7-3 win over the Twins.
- Yankees RP Mariano Rivera saved his 27th game of the year.
- Tigers OF Torii Hunter went 4-for-5 with a stolen base and a run scored.
- Tigers RP Joaquin Benoit pitched a perfect ninth inning to earn his sixth save of the season.
- Blue Jays OF Colby Rasmus went 2-for-4 with a home run and four RBI.
- Tigers SP Doug Fister allowed six runs over six innings in a no-decision against the Blue Jays on Tuesday.
- Rays 1B James Loney went 2-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored in a win.
- Astros SP Erik Bedard walked six batters and allowed four runs over 5 1/3 innings in a loss.
- Rays SP David Price pitched seven shutout innings, striking out 10.
- Rays OF Desmond Jennings went 3-for-5 with a home run and four RBI.
- Rangers SP Justin Grimm was rocked for six runs — five earned — on seven hits and two walks over just four innings.
- Mariners DH Kendrys Morales went 3-for-5 with a pair of homers and six RBI.
- Mariners SP Joe Saunders managed to escape relatively unscathed, allowing two runs — one earned — across 6 2/3 frames.
- Orioles 2B Brian Roberts went 1-for-4 with his first home run of the season.
- White Sox SP John Danks earned his second win of the season, allowing two runs over seven innings.
- Orioles SP Jason Hammel allowed five runs over seven innings.
- White Sox 1B Adam Dunn blasted his 22nd home run of the season, a two-run shot.
- Royals SP Luis Mendoza allowed four runs in four innings in a no-decision.
- Indians RP Chris Perez worked a scoreless ninth inning to earn his eighth save.
- Royals OF Alex Gordon went 2-for-4 with a grand slam.
- Indians SP Corey Kluber allowed four runs over 5 1/3 innings in a no-decision.
- Red Sox OF Jacoby Ellsbury went 2-for-4 with a stolen base.
- Red Sox 3B Brandon Snyder hit a bases-loaded, three-run double.
- Padres SP Robbie Erlin allowed three runs in 3 2/3 innings in a loss.
- Red Sox SP John Lackey allowed one run over eight innings while striking out six.
- Cardinals SS Pete Kozma went hitless in a fourth straight start.
- Angels 2B Howie Kendrick recorded a second straight three-hit game, raising his average to .323.
- Angels SP Jered Weaver pitched seven innings of one-run ball.
- Athletics C Derek Norris hit a three-run homer off James Russell in the bottom of the eighth.
- Cubs RP James Russell gave up a three-run homer after taking over in the eighth inning to take a blown save and a loss.
- Cubs OF Alfonso Soriano hit a three-run homer.
- Pirates optioned INF Josh Harrison to Triple-A Indianapolis.
- Pirates recalled RHP Brandon Cumpton from Triple-A Indianapolis.
- Cubs transferred OF Ryan Sweeney from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list.
- Cubs recalled OF Dave Sappelt from Triple-A Iowa.
- Nationals sent RHP Cole Kimball outright to Triple-A Syracuse.
- Cubs acquired RHP Matt Guerrier from the Dodgers for RHP Carlos Marmol and cash considerations.
- Cubs recalled LHP Chris Rusin from Triple-A Iowa.
- Dodgers released LHP Aaron Laffey.
- Mets recalled RHP Gonzalez Germen from Triple-A Buffalo.
- Mets optioned INF Zach Lutz to Triple-A Las Vegas.
- Rockies activated RHP Edgmer Escalona from the 15-day disabled list.
- Rockies placed OF Dexter Fowler on the 15-day disabled list with a right wrist injury.
- Padres signed LHP Clay Zavada to a minor league contract, assigned him to Double-A San Antonio.
- Dodgers 3B Luis Cruz has elected free agency.
- Astros acquired INF Ronald Torreyes from the Cubs for cash considerations.
- Orioles activated OF/DH Nolan Reimold from the 15-day disabled list.
- Orioles acquired RHP Scott Feldman and C Steve Clevenger from the Cubs for RHPs Jake Arrieta, Pedro Strop, and cash considerations.
- Rays activated LHP David Price from the 15-day disabled list.
- Rays optioned INF Ryan Roberts to Triple-A Durham.
- Astros recalled LHP Brett Oberholtzer from Triple-A Oklahoma City.
- Astros optioned RHP Hector Ambriz to Triple-A Oklahoma City.
- Rangers recalled RHP Josh Lindblom from Triple-A Round Rock.
- Rangers designated RHP Kyle McClellan for assignment.
- Twins placed OF Josh Willingham on the 15-day disabled list with a left knee injury.
- Twins activated OF Aaron Hicks from the 15-day disabled list.
- Angels recalled OF Collin Cowgill from Triple-A Salt Lake.
- Blue Jays recalled RHP Todd Redmond from Triple-A Buffalo.
- Blue Jays designated RHP Chien-Ming Wang for assignment.
- Nationals prospect right-hander Lucas Giolito (elbow) is expected to start Wednesday for the team's Gulf Coast League affiliate.
- Padres manager Bud Black said Tuesday on MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM that they are hopeful SS Everth Cabrera (hamstring) will return from the disabled list Thursday.
- Padres manager Bud Black said Tuesday on MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM that the best-case scenario is that 2B Jedd Gyorko (groin) is likely about a week away.
- Dodgers OF Carl Crawford (hamstring) went 1-for-3 with a run scored Monday in his second minor league rehab game with High-A Rancho Cucamonga.
- Diamondbacks OF Gerardo Parra was ruled out for a concussion after being examined by the Mets' team doctor.
- Mets SP Shaun Marcum will not be placed on the disabled list.
- Braves RP Cristhian Martinez is experiencing renewed discomfort in his ailing right shoulder.
- Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said Tuesday that RP J.J. Putz will be used in only low-leverage situations while he rebuilds the strength of his right arm.
- Reds OF Ryan Ludwick (shoulder) is throwing and hitting off a tee but hasn't been cleared to face live pitching.
- Braves C Evan Gattis (oblique) was not cleared for baseball activities on Tuesday by Braves team doctors.
- Brewers SP Wily Peralta has been diagnosed with left hamstring tightness.
- Phillies RP Michael Stutes is still dealing with soreness in his right biceps/shoulder area.
- Phillies C Erik Kratz (knee) is expected to return closer to the short end of his 4-6 week timetable.
- Phillies SP Kyle Kendrick has been cleared to start on Saturday after passing all concussion tests.
- Braves OF B.J. Upton has been diagnosed with left forearm spasms and is listed as day-to-day.
- Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said Tuesday that SP A.J. Burnett (calf) could rejoin the rotation on July 7 or 8.
- Phillies SP Carlos Zambrano has been diagnosed with a Grade 1 lat strain.
- Brewers manager Ron Roenicke conceded Tuesday that it's unlikely OF Ryan Braun (hand) will return prior to the All-Star break.
- Darren Wolfson of 1500ESPN.com hears that there's a "good possibility" that Twins OF Josh Willingham (knee) will be placed on the disabled list.
- Orioles SP Wei-Yin Chen (oblique) will make one more minor league rehab start before being activated from the disabled list.
- Tigers OF Matt Tuiasosopo (intercostal) participated in a full workout Monday for the first time since being placed on the disabled list.
- Twins general manager Ron Gardenhire said on MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM on Tuesday that SP Mike Pelfrey (back) is expected to be activated from the disabled list to start Saturday against the Blue Jays.
- Yankees 1B Mark Teixeira underwent season-ending surgery on his right wrist Monday.
- Astros SP Lucas Harrell is dealing with a bone bruise after he was hit in the left shin by a comebacker during his start Sunday against the Angels.
- Yankees SS Jayson Nix is day-to-day due to hamstring tightness.
- Blue Jays SP Brandon Morrow (forearm) reported feeling "no pain at all" after playing a game of catch on Tuesday.
- Red Sox SS Stephen Drew (hamstring) is unlikely to play at all in Boston's three-game series versus the Padres.
- Indians OF Michael Bourn is expected to return on Wednesday.
- Red Sox SP Clay Buchholz (shoulder) played catch on Tuesday.
- Tigers SP Anibal Sanchez (shoulder) will return to the Tigers' starting rotation on Saturday in Cleveland.
- Yankees 3B Alex Rodriguez (hip) struck out and grounded into a double play in two at-bats during his first rehab game with Low-A Charleston Tuesday.
- Rangers SP Colby Lewis (elbow) threw a 37-pitch bullpen session Tuesday.
- Athletics C John Jaso (hand) is expected to return to the lineup Wednesday.
- Rangers OF Jeff Baker received a second cortisone shot on Monday for his sprained right thumb.
- Athletics SP Jarrod Parker still felt something in his right hamstring during a bullpen session Tuesday.
- Rays SP Alex Cobb (concussion) played catch from 90 feet on Tuesday.
- Mariners OF Michael Morse (quad) could begin a rehab assignment by Friday.
- Indians SP Zach McAllister (finger) threw a 45-pitch bullpen session Tuesday with no issues.
- Rangers DH Lance Berkman (knee) is shooting to return to the lineup on Wednesday.
- Indians SP Brett Myers will be shut down for 3-5 days after feeling discomfort in his right elbow while warming up Monday.
- White Sox SP Jake Peavy (rib) threw a bullpen session Tuesday.
- Twins OF Josh Willingham will undergo arthroscopic surgery on his left knee.
- White Sox RP Jesse Crain was unable to come into Tuesday's game against the Orioles due to tightness in his pitching shoulder.
- Tigers 3B Miguel Cabrera left Tuesday's game against the Blue Jays due to lower back tightness.
Notes and Rumors:
- ESPN's Keith Law hears that the Dodgers are expected to send RP Carlos Marmol to the minors for a few outings.
- Rockies prospect RHP Eddie Butler allowed four hits while striking out six batters over five scoreless innings for High-A Modesto.
- The Brewers are pushing back SP Johnny Hellweg's next start.
- Mets 1B Ike Davis has just three hits in his last 22 at-bats with Triple-A Las Vegas.
- Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers said Monday that prospect right-hander Archie Bradley is a possibility to be called up from the minors.
- Cubs manager Dale Sveum said that RP Carlos Villanueva will be stretched out to re-enter the rotation following the trade of Scott Feldman.
- Mets manager Terry Collins said Tuesday that he's not sure when 1B Ike Davis will be recalled.
- Giants SP Mike Kickham has been moved to the bullpen.
- Pirates SP Jeff Locke will start on Wednesday against the Phillies.
- ESPN's Buster Olney reports that the Marlins have dropped their asking price for SP Ricky Nolasco.
- SP Scott Feldman said on MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM that he will make his first start with the Orioles on Wednesday against the White Sox.
- Major League Baseball has suspended Tigers SP Rick Porcello six games for plunking Ben Zobrist on Sunday afternoon.
- Rays agreed to terms with first-round pick RHP Ryne Stanek.
- Mariners manager Eric Wedge said Tuesday that RP Tom Wilhelmsen was close to getting his closer job back.
- Indians SP Carlos Carrasco will be called up to start on Saturday against the Tigers.
- Yankees SP Ivan Nova will start on Friday against the Orioles in place of the injured Hiroki Kuroda (hip).
Yesterday's Top Hitters:
|Kendrys Morales||SEA||@ TEX||9-2 W||3/5||2||2||6||0||9||0|
|Desmond Jennings||TB||@ HOU||8-0 W||3/5||1||2||4||0||6||1|
|Colby Rasmus||TOR||vs DET||6-7 L||2/4||1||2||4||0||6||0|
|Derek Norris||OAK||vs CHC||8-7 W||2/3||1||2||3||1||5||0|
|Justin Upton||ATL||vs MIA||11-3 W||3/4||0||3||1||1||5||0|
|Chris Johnson||ATL||vs MIA||11-3 W||3/4||0||2||2||0||5||0|
|Yasiel Puig||LAD||@ COL||8-0 W||3/5||1||2||1||0||7||0|
|Martin Prado||ARI||@ NYM||1-9 L||3/4||1||1||1||0||7||0|
|Alex Gordon||KC||vs CLE||5-6 L||2/4||1||1||4||0||5||0|
|Robinson Cano||NYY||@ MIN||7-3 W||2/4||1||1||3||0||5||0|
|Josh Donaldson||OAK||vs CHC||8-7 W||2/4||1||2||2||0||5||0|
|Torii Hunter||DET||@ TOR||7-6 W||4/5||0||1||1||0||4||1|
|Conor Gillaspie||CHW||vs BAL||5-2 W||2/3||1||2||1||1||5||0|
|Alberto Gonzalez||NYY||@ MIN||7-3 W||2/4||0||2||3||0||3||0|
|Anthony Recker||NYM||vs ARI||9-1 W||2/4||1||1||2||0||5||0|
|Logan Morrison||MIA||@ ATL||3-11 L||2/4||1||1||2||0||5||0|
|Brian McCann||ATL||vs MIA||11-3 W||3/5||0||1||2||0||4||0|
|Adrian Gonzalez||LAD||@ COL||8-0 W||2/5||1||1||2||0||5||0|
|Jesus Guzman||SD||@ BOS||1-4 L||2/4||1||1||1||0||6||0|
|Miguel Cabrera||DET||@ TOR||7-6 W||1/3||1||1||3||2||4||0|
|Andrelton Simmons||ATL||vs MIA||11-3 W||2/5||0||1||2||0||4||0|
|Alfonso Soriano||CHC||@ OAK||7-8 L||1/4||1||1||3||0||4||0|
|A.J. Ellis||LAD||@ COL||8-0 W||2/3||0||2||0||2||4||0|
|Raul Ibanez||SEA||@ TEX||9-2 W||1/3||1||2||1||2||4||0|
|Freddie Freeman||ATL||vs MIA||11-3 W||2/4||0||2||1||0||3||0|
|Jose Bautista||TOR||vs DET||6-7 L||2/2||0||2||1||2||2||0|
|Dioner Navarro||CHC||@ OAK||7-8 L||3/4||0||1||0||0||4||0|
|Brandon Phillips||CIN||vs SF||3-0 W||1/3||1||1||2||1||4||0|
|Omar Quintanilla||NYM||vs ARI||9-1 W||2/4||0||1||3||0||2||0|
|Adam Dunn||CHW||vs BAL||5-2 W||1/4||1||1||2||0||4||0|
Yesterday's Top Starters:
|Homer Bailey||CIN||vs SF||3-0 W||9||0||0||0||1||9||109||W|
|Clayton Kershaw||LAD||@ COL||8-0 W||9||4||0||0||0||8||108||W|
|David Price||TB||@ HOU||8-0 W||7||3||0||0||0||10||70||W|
|Stephen Strasburg||WSH||vs MIL||0-4 L||7||3||0||0||4||8||105||ND|
|John Lackey||BOS||vs SD||4-1 W||8||6||1||1||1||6||103||W|
|Jeremy Hefner||NYM||vs ARI||9-1 W||7||4||1||1||2||6||97||W|
|Jered Weaver||LAA||vs STL||5-1 W||7||6||1||1||0||5||105||W|
|Wily Peralta||MIL||@ WSH||4-0 W||5.1||3||0||0||2||5||76||ND|
|Phil Hughes||NYY||@ MIN||7-3 W||7||6||1||1||2||3||114||W|
|Jonathan Pettibone||PHI||@ PIT||3-1 W||5.2||3||1||1||3||6||102||W|
|John Danks||CHW||vs BAL||5-2 W||7||6||2||2||1||4||93||W|
|Joe Saunders||SEA||@ TEX||9-2 W||6.2||10||2||1||1||5||107||W|
|Tom Koehler||MIA||@ ATL||3-11 L||5||5||3||2||0||4||85||ND|
|Samuel Deduno||MIN||vs NYY||3-7 L||6||5||3||3||1||1||102||L|
|Tim Lincecum||SF||@ CIN||0-3 L||5.1||6||3||3||2||8||102||L|
|Brandon Cumpton||PIT||vs PHI||1-3 L||5.2||6||3||3||1||3||88||L|
|Jason Hammel||BAL||@ CHW||2-5 L||7||9||5||5||1||7||110||L|
|Corey Kluber||CLE||@ KC||6-5 W||5.1||4||4||4||2||3||84||ND|
|Patrick Corbin||ARI||@ NYM||1-9 L||6||6||5||5||1||4||81||L|
|Kris Medlen||ATL||vs MIA||11-3 W||6||9||3||3||2||1||89||W|
|Lance Lynn||STL||@ LAA||1-5 L||6||9||5||5||1||8||109||L|
|Chris Rusin||CHC||@ OAK||7-8 L||3.1||6||3||3||0||2||61||ND|
|Doug Fister||DET||@ TOR||7-6 W||6||7||6||6||1||4||104||ND|
|Erik Bedard||HOU||vs TB||0-8 L||5.1||6||4||4||6||3||95||L|
|Robbie Erlin||SD||@ BOS||1-4 L||3.2||5||3||3||3||1||93||L|
|Roy Oswalt||COL||vs LAD||0-8 L||5||9||5||5||1||5||86||L|
|Luis Mendoza||KC||vs CLE||5-6 L||4||6||4||4||4||2||86||ND|
|A.J. Griffin||OAK||vs CHC||8-7 W||5.2||10||7||7||1||6||99||ND|
|Justin Grimm||TEX||vs SEA||2-9 L||4||7||6||5||2||1||75||L|
|Chien-Ming Wang||TOR||vs DET||6-7 L||1.2||8||6||6||1||1||40||ND|
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now
Also some of the starts (Chien-Ming Wang, etc.) don't really qualify as "Top".