Probable Pitchers for July 2, 2013
PITCHf/x cards of today's probable pitchers can be found here: BrooksBaseball.net Probable Pitchers
Yesterday's Notable Stat Lines:
- Mets OF Andrew Brown delivered a game-winning, two-run double in the bottom of the 13th.
- Diamondbacks RP J.J. Putz took a blown save in his first save chance since he came off the DL on Saturday.
- Mets 1B Josh Satin went 3-for-6 with a couple of doubles and a walk.
- Diamondbacks OF Cody Ross had a go-ahead solo homer in the 13th inning.
- Diamondbacks 2B Aaron Hill went 3-for-5 with a double against the Mets on Monday.
- Nationals OF Jayson Werth went 2-for-5 with a double and five RBI.
- Nationals SP Jordan Zimmermann won for the 12th time this year after giving up four runs in six innings.
- Brewers SP Yovani Gallardo was torched for eight runs in three-plus innings by the Nationals on Monday.
- Nationals OF Bryce Harper homered in his first at-bat back from the disabled list.
- Brewers 3B Juan Francisco went 2-for-4 and hit his 10th homer.
- Marlins SP Jose Fernandez allowed zero runs for eight innings, combining with two relievers on a three-hit shutout for his fifth win.
- Despite walking seven betters, Padres SP Jason Marquis went without allowing an earned run in 6 1/3 innings.
- Marlins C Jeff Mathis followed up Sunday's walkoff grand slam with a three-RBI game.
- After hitting .232 with just two walks in 56 at-bats last month,Padres OF Alexi Amarista opened July by going 0-for-3 on Monday.
- Yankees 2B Robinson Cano homered twice, doubled and scored four times.
- SP Andy Pettitte became the Yankees' all-time leader in strikeouts while surrendering four runs in five innings.
- Yankees OF Zoilo Almonte went 3-for-5 with two RBI.
- Twins OF Chris Parmelee went 2-for-3 with a solo homer and a walk.
- Rays SP Matt Moore allowed just two hits over seven innings while striking out nine.
- Astros SP Dallas Keuchel struggled through 4 2/3 innings, giving up five runs in a loss.
- Rays 2B Ryan Roberts went 3-for-5 and hit his fourth and fifth homers.
- Rays OF Sean Rodriguez had four hits, including two doubles, and three RBI.
- Nationals SP Matt Purke has been promoted to High-A Potomac.
- Diamondbacks purchased the contract of RHP Chaz Roe from Triple-A Reno.
- Diamondbacks placed RHP Trevor Cahill on the 15-day disabled list with a right hip contusion.
- Nationals activated OF Bryce Harper from the 15-day disabled list.
- Nationals optioned RHP Erik Davis to Triple-A Syracuse.
- Nationals released 1B/OF Micah Owings.
- Marlins recalled INF Donovan Solano from Triple-A New Orleans.
- Marlins optioned 1B/OF Jordan Brown to Triple-A New Orleans.
- Orioles optioned RHP Jair Jurrjens to Triple-A Norfolk.
- Orioles outfielder Trayvon Robinson has been demoted from Triple-A Norfolk to Double-A Bowie.
- Tigers activated C Alex Avila from the 15-day disabled list.
- Tigers optioned C Bryan Holaday to Triple-A Toledo.
- Rays signed RHP Ramon Ramirez to a minor league contract; assigned him to Triple-A Durham.
- Rays signed OF Evan Frey to a minor league contract.
- Rays released RHP Will Inman.
- Athletics released LHP Justin Thomas.
- Nationals C Wilson Ramos (hamstring) is on track to return from the disabled list Saturday.
- Diamondbacks OF Adam Eaton (elbow) is expected to begin playing the outfield in rehab games this Saturday.
- Diamondbacks SP Brandon McCarthy (shoulder) is scheduled to throw a bullpen session on Monday afternoon.
- Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said Sunday that 2B Willie Bloomquist's hand is "getting better every day."
- Mets C Travis d'Arnaud experienced some lingering foot discomfort while running on flat ground this weekend.
- Mets 1B Justin Turner (intercostal) is playing catch but has not been cleared yet to resume swinging a bat.
- Cardinals SP Shelby Miller worked on his mechanics during an extended bullpen session on Sunday morning.
- Braves C Evan Gattis (oblique) is hoping to be cleared to resume baseball activities this Tuesday.
- Nationals SP Ross Detwiler (back) remains on track to start Wednesday against the Brewers.
- Marlins SP Henderson Alvarez (shoulder) will be activated from the disabled list to start Thursday against the Braves.
- Giants SP Ryan Vogelsong (hand) played catch Monday for about five minutes from a distance of 70-80 feet.
- Mets SS Ruben Tejada (quad) will continue his minor league rehab assignment with Triple-A Las Vegas.
- Pirates SP Wandy Rodriguez received a platelet-rich plasma injection on Monday for his injured left elbow.
- Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said Monday it "could be" SP Tyler Skaggs who replaces Trevor Cahill (hip) in the starting rotation.
- Phillies 2B Brandon Phillips admitted Monday that he played hurt in June but is finally "getting closer to 100 percent."
- Diamondbacks OF Gerardo Parra's exit from Monday's game was deemed precautionary.
- Nationals SP Dan Haren (shoulder) will throw a simulated game on Wednesday.
- The Padres are hopeful that 1B Yonder Alonso (hand) will be cleared to begin hitting in the batting cage soon.
- Padres 2B Jedd Gyorko (groin) did some running prior to Monday's game.
- Rays RP Brandon Gomes (lat) told the Tampa Bay Times that his recent physical setback was "nothing major."
- Rays 3B Evan Longoria (foot) may be able to pinch-hit Monday.
- Rays SP Alex Cobb (concussion) will not travel with the Rays this week on their four-game trip to Houston.
- Yankees C Francisco Cervelli (hand) took batting practice on Monday.
- Yankees 3B Alex Rodriguez (hip) has been cleared to begin a rehab assignment Tuesday with Low-A Charleston.
- Orioles DH Nolan Reimold (hamstring) is expected to be activated from the disabled list Tuesday.
- Yankees SS Derek Jeter (ankle) ran the bases on Monday.
- Tigers SP Anibal Sanchez (shoulder) is expected to be OK after leaving Monday's rehabouting with High-A Lakeland after taking a liner off his left calf.
- Twins SP Mike Pelfrey (back) allowed two runs on two hits and no walks while striking out six over six frames in a rehab start with Low-A Cedar Rapids Monday.
- Twins OF Josh Willingham will undergo an MRI Tuesday on his ailing left knee.
- Twins SP Mike Pelfrey (back) is slated to rejoin the Twins' rotation on Saturday.
Notes and Rumors:
- Brewers SP Kyle Lohse will start Wednesday versus the Nationals.
- Cardinals RP Carlos Martinez has a 2.02 ERA and 34 strikeouts in 34 2/3 innings since he was sent to Triple-A Memphis.
- Cubs prospect RHP Paul Blackburn has not allowed an earned run through his first three starts this season for Short-Season Boise in the Northwest League.
- Mets prospect RHP Noah Syndergaard allowed one earned run over five innings with nine strikeouts in his start for Double-A Binghamton.
- ESPN Chicago's Bruce Levine was told by two sources that the Dodgers are close to acquiring RP Carlos Marmol from the Cubs.
- Mets prospect OF Cesar Puello has absolutely sizzled through the first 62 games of the season at Double-A Binghamton, hitting .336/.401/.612 with 15 homers, 55 RBI and 18 stolen bases.
- According to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, the Rays are moving closer to a deal with SP Ryne Stanek.
- Royals top prospect RHP Kyle Zimmer tossed a complete-game shutout for High-A Wilmington on Saturday.
- Astros prospect SS Carlos Correa left Monday's game at Low-A Quad Cities after being hit on the right hand by a pitch. Correa has batted .370/.413/.510 with 37 hits, six doubles, two home runs and 15 RBI in 25 June games for Low-A Quad Cities.