Probable Pitchers for May 23, 2013
PITCHf/x cards of today's probable pitchers can be found here: BrooksBaseball.net Probable Pitchers
Yesterday's Notable Stat Lines:
- Cardinals SP Tyler Lyons earned a win in his major league debut after allowing one run and four hits in seven innings.
- Padres RP Tim Stauffer pitched 5 2/3 innings in relief, allowing one run and striking out seven.
- Padres SP Burch Smith lasted just one-plus innings and gave up four runs.
- Cardinals C Yadier Molina had four of the teams 14 hits.
- Padres 2B Jedd Gyorko went 2-for-4 and hit his fifth homer.
(29-18) Reds – 7 at 4 – Mets (17-27)
- Phillies SP Cliff Lee allowed just three hits, two walks and no runs while striking out five in a complete game shutout.
- Phillies OF Delmon Young homered for the second straight game.
- Marlins SS Adeiny Hechavarria went 0-for-4 at the plate, watching his average drop to .193.
- Phillies got two hits each from Jimmy Rollins, Ryan Howard and Lee.
- Making his first appearance in 15 days, Dodgers C Ramon Hernandez went 2-for-3 with a homer and two walks.
- Dodgers OF Scott Van Slyke doubled twice and knocked in two runs while starting in place of the benched Andre Ethier.
- Brewers SP Wily Peralta lasted just 1 2/3 innings and gave up six runs — four earned.
- Dodgers SP Hyun-Jin Ryu allowed two runs in 7 1/3 innings.
- Rockies OF Carlos Gonzalez homered and tripled.
- Rockies SP Jorge De La Rosa improved to 6-3 after allowing only one run in 5 1/3 innings.
- With Rafael Betancourt sidelined, Rockies RP Rex Brothers earned his first save of the year by pitching a scoreless ninth inning.
- Diamondbacks 3B Martin Prado went 0-for-4 and has fallen into a 2-for-19 slump.
- Nationals OF Bryce Harper homered in the sixth and scored the go-ahead run in the 10th.
- Nationals SP Gio Gonzalez pitched 7 1/3 innings of one-run ball in a no-decision.
- Nationals RP Rafael Soriano bounced back from Tuesday's blown save to pitch a scoreless inning for his 13th save.
- Giants 2B Marco Scutaro went 0-for-3 with two walks, snapping his 19-game hitting streak.
- Pirates SP Francisco Liriano fired seven scoreless innings while striking out nine and allowing two hits for the win.
- Pirates RP Mark Melancon earned his first save of the season.
- Cubs SP Jeff Samardzija allowed one run over seven innings while striking out eight.
- Pirates 1B Garrett Jones knocked in the only run of the game with a single in the 1st inning.
- Tigers C Brayan Pena went 3-for-5 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Indians C Carlos Santana went 2-for-4 with a home run.
- Indians OF Michael Brantley went 3-for-5 with three RBI.
- Tigers SP Justin Verlander allowed five runs over five innings but earned the win.
- Indians SP Ubaldo Jimenez allowed six runs over four innings.
- A one-man offense, Blue Jays OF Jose Bautista went 4-for-4 with two homers and a game-winning hit in the bottom of the 10th.
- Rays SP Jeremy Hellickson pitched a season-high eighth innings and allowed two runs.
- Rays RP Fernando Rodney took his fourth blown save.
- Blue Jays SP Mark Buehrle pitched well allowing just two runs and four hits over 7 strong innings in a no decision.
- Athletics SP Jarrod Parker dropped to 2-6 after surrendering three runs in seven innings and gave up two home runs.
- Rangers RP Ross Wolf allowed one run in five innings to pick up his first big-league win.
- Rangers OF David Murphy hit a two-run homer in the first inning.
- Rangers RP Joe Nathan picked up his 14th save of the year.
- Rangers 3B Adrian Beltre blasted his 10th homer of the season.
- Braves SP Paul Maholm allowed just an unearned run over 7 1/3 innings for the win.
- Making his first start in eight days, Braves C Evan Gattis hit a grand slam in the win.
- Braves OF B.J. Upton hit his first homer since April 23 off Vance Worley.
- Twins OF Aaron Hicks went 3-for-4 and hit his fourth homer.
- Cardinals purchased the contract of LHP Tyler Lyons from Triple-A Memphis.
- Cardinals placed RHP Fernando Salas on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 21, with right shoulder irritation.
- Cubs recalled RHP Rafael Dolis from Triple-A Iowa.
- Cubs placed RHP Shawn Camp on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained right big toe.
- Rockies optioned 2B Josh Rutledge to Triple-A Colorado Springs.
- Phillies optioned RHP Phillippe Aumont to Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
- Twins optioned RHP Vance Worley to Triple-A Rochester.
- Orioles acquired INF Josh Horton from the Athletics for a player to be named later or cash considerations.
- Rangers purchased the contract of RHP Ross Wolf from Triple-A Round Rock.
- Twins transferred OF Darin Mastroianni from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list.
- Twins purchased the contract of 1B/3B Chris Colabello from Triple-A Rochester.
- White Sox optioned LHP Donnie Veal to Triple-A Charlotte.
- Phillies RP Mike Adams (back) threw a bullpen session Wednesday.
- Mets SP Zack Wheeler allowed three runs in five innings Wednesday for Triple-A Las Vegas in his return to action.
- Rockies RP Rafael Betancourt (groin) will not require a trip to the disabled list.
- Diamondbacks OF Adam Eaton is dealing with renewed soreness in his left elbow and has returned to Phoenix for an examination.
- Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said Wednesday that SP Kyle Lohse began feeling discomfort in his right elbow "two or three starts ago" and was recovering slower than usual between starts.
- Cardinals SP Jaime Garcia will undergo surgery on his left shoulder.
- Reds trainer Paul Lessard said Wednesday that OF Chris Heisey (hamstring) is able to jog at about "80 percent effort."
- Reds RP Nick Masset (shoulder) is throwing from a distance of 120 feet.
- Phillies 2B Chase Utley (rib cage) will undergo an MRI on Thursday.
- CBS Sports' Scott Miller reports that the Cardinals are hoping that SP Chris Carpenter (shoulder, neck) is able to join the starting rotation in late June or early July.
- Padres SP Clayton Richard (illness) gave up two runs in six innings Tuesday in his second minor league rehab start with Triple-A Tucson.
- Mets RP Tim Byrdak (shoulder) threw his third bullpen session Wednesday.
- Marlins SP Kevin Slowey left Wednesday's start against the Phillies after the fifth inning with a left lat strain.
- Cardinals SP Jake Westbrook had to stop his bullpen session Wednesday after 20 pitches due to pain in his right elbow.
- Phillies SP John Lannan (quad) is scheduled to face hitters next Wednesday.
- SP Roy Halladay (shoulder) could rejoin the Phillies' rotation in late August if everything progresses on schedule.
- Padres 2B Logan Forsythe (foot) will begin playing in extended spring training games on Friday.
- Padres OF Cameron Maybin (wrist) will begin a rehab assignment with Triple-A Tucson on Friday.
- Angels RP Ryan Madson has experienced yet another setback in his recovery from Tommy John elbow surgery.
- Red Sox C David Ross (concussion) is hopeful to begin a minor league rehab assignment Thursday with Double-A Portland.
- Twins 3B Trevor Plouffe said Wednesday that he passed his concussion test, but was placed on the 7-day disabled list because of his initial wooziness.
- Orioles DH Nolan Reimold (hamstring) is not expected to be ready for activation from the disabled list when first eligible.
- Orioles 2B Jonathan Schoop has been diagnosed with a stress fracture in his back and will need 6-8 weeks of rest.
- Angels SP Jered Weaver (elbow) threw 5 2/3 innings Wednesday afternoon in a start at extended spring training.
- Yankees SS Eduardo Nunez (rib cage) took batting practice Wednesday.
- Yankees 3B Kevin Youkilis (back) took six at-bats in a simulated game Wednesday.
- Yankees SP Andy Pettitte (trapezius) will play catch either Thursday or Friday.
- There is no timetable for when Yankees SP Ivan Nova (triceps) will be activated from the disabled list.
- White Sox SP John Danks (shoulder) will be activated from the disabled list to make his season debut on Friday against the Marlins.
- Yankees manager Joe Girardi said he would be "shocked" if SP Hiroki Kuroda (calf) was unable to make his next start.
- Astros SP Bud Norris (back) expects to make his next scheduled start.
- White Sox 1B Adam Dunn is still dealing with back pain but plans to continue playing through it.
Notes and Rumors:
- Rays SP Jake Odorizzi's next start has been pushed back to next Monday against the Marlins.
- Rays SP Alex Cobb will move up a day in the rotation to start Sunday against the Yankees.
- Indians 1B Nick Swisher is expected to return on Friday from paternity leave.
- Yankees RP Vidal Nuno will start Saturday against the Rays.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now