Interesting stories from newspapers across the nation:
- Steve Rosenbloom of the Chicago Tribune wonders if the Cubs can out-stupid Carlos Zambrano.
- Rick Morrissey of the Chicago Sun-Times writes that the last thing Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg should want is the Cubs' manager job.
- John Romano of the St. Petersburg Times writes that baseball's top free agent is Andrew Friedman.
- Drew Sharp of the Detroit Free Press writes that Jair Jurrjens wouldn't be an All-Star with the Tigers.
- Larry Stone of the Seattle Times writes that Dick Williams' way was get tough or get lost.
- John Tomase of the Boston Herald writes that Williams was a true Red Sox's legend.
- Nick Canepa of the San Diego Union-Tribune writes that a lot of players didn't like Williams but they respected him.
- Bill Plaschke of the Los Angeles Times writes that Peter Bourjos sets a fast pace in moving the Angels forward.
- Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times writes that a bankruptcy judge sides with Major League Baseball in the Dodgers' requests for documents.
- Greg Patton of the Riverside Press-Enterprise writes that Andre Ethier might still be an All-Star despite not having enough votes.
- George A. King III of the New York Post writes that Alex Rodriguez may need to skip the All-Star Game.
- Gary Shelton of the St. Petersburg Times writes that for Derek Jeter and the rest of us, reaching 3,000 hits is a testament to ability, will, toughness and determination.
- Richard Justice of the Houston Chronicle writes that Brad Mills proves he is the right man for the job.
- Jason Reid of the Washington Post writes that Jim Tracy believes Davey Johnson is brilliant.
- Sam Mellinger of the Kansas City Star writes that a Royals' uniform blunder sends a wrong message to the fans.
- Andy Martino of the New York Daily News writes that Sandy Alderson says it is very unlikely that the Mets will trade Jose Reyes.
- Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch writes that a contract extension for Jaime Garcia might be in the works.
- Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News writes that the Giants talk about trade scenarios after their latest victory.
- Joe Henderson of Tampa Tribune writes that scoring is down across the major leagues as baseball emerges from the Steroid Era.
- Brian McPherson of the Providence Journal writes that the Red Sox outfielders earn high ratings.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now