Oh, where does the time go? Nothing seemed especially long, but when you add it all up, it's nearly three hours. We have plenty of good email to go through, and talk about some recent things we have written, but the highlights as always, are the guests. First off, we have Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times in what was intended to only be a talk about the Frank McCourt situation, but turned into a more fascinating talk about the state of the modern Los Angeles Dodgers and one of those subjects that writers try to avoid: race. Then it's the return of my mom, and she talks about a variety of subjects, as always. Then it's the goofy stuff and it's mercifully over. As always, we hope you enjoy.
Note: We do alert you to the presence of the occasional adult language and subject matter. Don't say we didn't warn you.
Up And In Episode 47: "Fully Grown Cheerleaders"
Table Of Contents
0:00 The part where we go over the agenda
3:19 The part where we tell you how to email us, follow us on Twitter, stuff like that
4:55 The part where we read your emails
- Why measuring velo with a stopwatch is impossible
- How front offices and managers work in terms of player usage
- Teams connected to types of pitchers
- Getting over the concept of five-tool players
- Moving around while scouting and dealing with the net
- The adventures of Kent, the FBI guy
33:31 Flavors of the month and why we like guys that haven't failed yet
43:18 Revisiting the starter/reliever debate with Aroldis Chapman and Alexei Ogando
53:58 Workload, long tossing and Trevor Bauer
1:11:36 Special Guest Dylan Hernandez (@dylanohernandez) of the Los Angeles Times on the modern Dodgers
- The history of financial issues with the McCourts
- How the divorce affected MLB's takeover of the Dodgers
- The faith healer
- What kind of authority MLB now has with the Dodgers
- Will McCourt take on MLB in court?
- Do the Dodgers players care?
- How recent events have affected the popularity of the team
- The makeup of the modern Dodgers fan base and the unavoidable race discussion
- Living in the past
- Hey, at least your not the Marlins
1:54:24 Special Guest: My mom Judy
- Pujols and Bonds
- The Dodgers divorce
- Fear of technology
- Ohio State football
- MSNBC, Fox and Trump
- The longest baseball game ever
- On the DL with shoulder surgery
- Jose Canseco and The Apprentice
- Time to help Jason
- Skype problems: The Echo!
- Mom's guide to Mexico!
2:24:21 Musical Guest: Laura Stevenson And The Cans (@lauraandthecans)
2:30:00 What Are You Drinking?
2:32:02 Cooking With The Professor: Birthday Cake and more Chicken Fried Steak
2:38:33 The week ahead and Jason gets passive aggressive