Because you enjoyed the inaugural Baseball Prospectus Futures Guide so much, we decided to publish another similarly named volume this year.
The Baseball Prospectus Futures Guide 2014 is built around the best of Jason Parks and the BP prospect staff's preseason Premium prospect material and is full of prospect goodness. It's like the Futures Guide 2013, but with even more stuff:
The new Top 10 Prospects design. Click here for a free PDF of the Cardinals Top 10 Prospects.
- The Baseball Prospectus Top 101 prospects, with complete commentary from Baseball Prospectus 2014 and additional background and notes to cover developments since the list's original compilation.
- From the Field exclusive eyewitness reports on 44 players in the Top 101: Learn what Javier Baez looked like at the plate in August, drool at descriptions of Joey Gallo's power, and comfort yourself with tales of Noah Syndergaard's fastball ("with natural cut at 99-100 mph").
- Top 10 Prospects for every major-league team: 300 prospect capsules, with exclusive updates to account for trades and other player movement since original publication date, and an expanded statistical workup with full PECOTA projections for each player. The entire presentation has been redesigned. Here's a sneak peak at the Cardinals list.
- Three Prospects on the Rise and three Factors on the Farm for each major-league system: Coverage of an additional 60 prospects at all levels of organized baseball. Get to know some of 2015's top prospects a year before everyone else does.
- The Baseball Prospectus 2014 Organizational Rankings: Every major-league organization, dissected and ranked from top to bottom.
- 2014 Draft Top 100: A list of Perfect Game's top high school and college players eligible for the June draft.
- Before They Were Pros: Perfect Game's notes on many of today's top prospects from when they toured the amateur showcase circuit. This is where you learn that Byron Buxton "smoked a ball back through the box at 92 mph off the bat" when he was 15.
- Making Sense of Pitching Prospects: An original essay that introduces strategies for mitigating risk when targeting young arms in your draft.
- Fighting Prospect Fatigue and Learning to Love Again: Another exclusive on how to find post-hype prospect sleepers, including who and what to look for.
- The Baseball Prospectus fantasy team's Top 101 Dynasty League Prospects: The guys you need to know to set your dynasty league roster for the rest of the decade.
- The Ones Who Could Jump: Insights into 24 players who could take a big step forward in 2014 from a fantasy standpoint. Hello there, Franchy Cordero.
- Top 50 2013 Signees for Dynasty Drafts: Kris Bryant, Masahiro Tanaka, and a lot of kids named Hunter.
- Top 50 for 2014 (Fantasy Value Only): If you're not ready for a full rebuild, these are the prospects most likely to pay immediate dividends in 2014.
- Top 40 Fantasy Prospects Outside of Major League Baseball: Some folks really like to plan ahead. This list is for them. Deep? There's a guy in here from Japan who won't be posted until 2017. Also, Mike Cameron's kid. And someone named Skye Bolt.
How to Get It
Futures Guide 2014 will be available in paperback and e-book formats next week. We will have more information then.