We’re down to the semifinals of the Caribbean Series, which means only one game per night. Thursday night’s game involved the Dominican Republic falling to a not-exactly-prospect-laden Mexican team. For the MLU, that means you’re getting an update on every borderline prospect in action, no matter how many times you’ve heard their names in the past two months. We’ve made it through the whole winter together. Don’t jump off the ship now.
- Zelous Wheeler, 3B, Yankees (Mexico): 0-2, 2 BB, K. Wheeler’s prospect days are behind him, but he’ll enter spring training coming off of a strong winter, and the Yankees’ infield situation isn’t exactly carved in stone.
- Sebastian Valle, C, Phillies (Mexico): 1-3, R, BB, K. After a rough minor-league season, Valle hit .304 this winter and was the hero on Thursday with a walk-off bloop single to win it. He’ll return to the Phillies this spring with a lot to prove, but the real news here has to be that he drew a walk.
- Leury Garcia, 3B, White Sox (D.R.): 0-3, R, K. Not naturally a third baseman, but he played there on Thursday. It’s that versatility that will keep Garcia in the majors.
- Francisco Peguero, CF, Orioles (D.R.): 0-3. It was a strong winter for Peguero, who will look to impress a new organization this spring.
Major Leaguers in Action
- Alfredo Aceves, RHP, Baltimore (Mexico): 7 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), BB, 2 K. When he’s not alienating his teammates, Aceves can be a highly effective pitcher. Now in Baltimore, he’ll get a fresh start to prove he can keep his mouth shut and pitch.
- Oliver Perez, LHP, Free Agent (Mexico): 1 IP, BB, K. Once again proving that the the shelf life of a left-handed pitcher is roughly the same as that of a Supreme Court justice.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus.Subscribe now