- Leury Garcia, INF, White Sox (Dominican Republic): 2-6, 2 R. You know Garcia as a shortstop, but on Monday night he started the game at third base and finished it at second base, after Francisco Peguero was removed and a game of positional musical chairs ensued. It’s that versatility that will keep Garcia in the majors for a while, even if he doesn’t hit enough to play everyday.
- Hector Gomez, SS, Brewers (Dominican Republic): 2-5, R, BB, 2 K. You remember Gomez as the former highly touted shortstop in the Rockies farm system, but now he’s in the Brewers system trying to get back to the majors for the first time since a two-game cameo in 2011. His .494 OPS in Triple-A last season didn’t help that cause.
- Carlos Zambrano, RHP, Free Agent (Venezuela): 5 1/3 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 3 BB, 3 K. When he’s not throwing haymakers, Zambrano can actually still throw some quality pitches, though it’s tough to tell at this point how much he’s getting by on pure guile and emotion rather than actual stuff.
- Jon Leicester, RHP, Free Agent (Dominican Republic): 7 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, BB, 2 K. There’s absolutely no rhyme or reason for why a pitcher like Leicester, who sputtered out in the Cubs farm system in the mid-2000s and hasn’t been with an affiliated team since he pitched in Triple-A with the Padres in 2011, would go out and throw seven scoreless innings—other than as a reminder that baseball is great but isn’t meant to be played in small sample sizes.
- Ezequiel Carrera, OF, Tigers (Venezuela): 2-4, R, 2B. After bouncing around last season, Carrera signed a minor-league contract with the Tigers with an invitation to spring training to try to catch on as a reserve outfielder. His speed and ability to play all three outfield positions gives him a chance, but his inability to hit likely leaves him on the outside looking in as organizational
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now