Friday, January 24th
- Eury Perez, RF, Nationals (Leones del Escogido, DWL): 3-5, 2 R, BB, 2 K. A solid hit tool and plus speed will continue to earn Perez chances, but his utter lack of plate discipline and power will keep him from ever being an everyday player.
- Gregory Polanco, CF, Pirates (Leones del Escogido, DWL): 3-4, BB. It’s going to be tough for the Pirates to keep Polanco off of their Opening Day roster, but their history says they’ll do it.
- Jordan Lennerton, 1B, Tigers (Lenoes del Escogodo, DWL): 2-4, R, BB. Walks and power may be enough to give him some value at the major-league level, but it will likely take an injury for him to get a chance.
- Eddie Rosario, CF, Twins (Indios de Mayaguez, PRWL): 1-4, R, HR. Rosario really has bounced back nicely from an atrocious winter, and his better bat has coincided with him playing more center field than second base.
- Major Leaguer of the Day: Pablo Sandoval, 3B, Giants (Navegantes del Magallanes, VWL): 3-4, R. Skinny appears to be working for Sandoval, who is hitting .355 in the Venezuelan League playoffs. He also homered on Saturday night.
Saturday, January 25th
- Eduardo Escobar, SS, Twins (Caribes de Anzoategui, VWL): 1-3, HR, K. A rare home run for Escobar doesn’t change how little power he has. It’ll be his glove that earns him a spot on the Twins’ major-league roster this season. Just to prove me wrong, however, Escobar hit another home run on Sunday night, this time of the walk-off variety.
- Deolis Guerra, RHP, Twins (Navegantes del Magallanes, VWL): 1 IP, 2 K. Guerra continued his scoreless innings streak, which spans the entire VWL postseason.
Sunday, January 26th
- Gregory Polanco, CF, Pirates (Leones del Escogido, DWL): 1-2, 3 R, 4 BB, K. The former leadoff hitter in me has a huge soft spot for games like this. It’s always impressive when a non-power hitter (which Polanco is at the moment) draws a ton of walks.
- Lew Ford, DH, Free Agent (Tigres del Licey, DWL): 3-4, 3 R, 2 HR, K. Because winter ball.