- Gregory Polanco, CF, Pirates (Leones del Escogido, DWL): 0-3, 2 BB. Polanco’s hit tool may be the one thing that could hold him back from being a true superstar, but the way he controls the strike zone will help close the gap. Even if he hits in the .280s instead of over .300, he should still get on base at a solid clip, and he is a plus base runner.
- Engel Beltre, CF, Rangers (Tigres del Licey, DWL): 2-4. Beltre is out of options so he’ll probably make the Rangers roster no matter how he hits, but with a crowded outfield, he probably won’t get a chance to be much more than a fourth outfielder.
- Eduardo Escobar, SS, Twins (Caribes de Anzoategui, VWL): 2-4, R. The Twins utility infielder is almost all glove, but his competition in the middle of their infield isn’t exactly steep, so he should be able to work his way into some decent playing time this season.
Notable Major Leaguers
- Carlos Santana, 3B, Indians (Leones del Escogido, DWL): 1-4, R, HR, K. There’s been a lot of questions regarding the validity of Santana playing third base, but he’s hitting the ball well in the Dominican.
- Pablo Sandoval, 3B, Giants (Navegantes del Magallanes, VWL): 2-3, R, 2 2B, BB. It will be interesting to see what the Giants get from Sandoval this year since, you know, he looks like this now.
- Alexi Amarista, INF, Padres (Carbies de Anzoategui, VWL): 3-3, 2 R, HR, BB. Amarista is going to make the Padres because of his defensive versatility, but, for what it’s worth, he did walk significantly more this winter than you’d expect with his normal rates, drawing 22 in 39 games.