- Engel Beltre, CF, Rangers (Tigres del Licey, DWL): 2-2, R, 2B, BB. Beltre may never hit enough to play regularly, but he’s going to be a part of the Rangers’ 2014 roster simply because of his speed and defense.
- Deolis Guerra, RHP, Twins (Navegantes del Magallanes, VWL): 1 IP, K. You remember Guerra as one of the prospects the Mets sent to the Twins for Johan Santana, oh so many years ago. After six years in the Twins system, he still hasn’t reached the majors, but he’s also still just 24. After missing most of the season with thoracic outlet syndrome, Guerra has been throwing all winter and has struck out more than a batter per inning in Venezuela.
- Jesus Aguilar, 1B, Indians (Leones de Caracas, VWL): 2-5, R, K. Hitting in front of Bobby Abreu all winter appears to be benefiting Aguilar.
- Ender Inciarte, CF, Diamondbacks (Aguilas del Zuila, VWL): 1-4, 2 R, 2 BB. When Inciarte gets on base, he can be a dynamic table-setter. He didn’t walk enough during the regular season to make up for a mediocre hit tool, but he walked 25 times in 263 VWL regular season at-bats this winter, showing signs of improvement in that area.
- Osvaldo Martinez, SS, Dodgers (Gigantes de Carolina, PRWL): 2-4. Martinez hasn’t shown any ability to hit at the major-league level, but the player once traded for manager Ozzie Guillen can play all three infield positions, an ability that may earn him a spot on the Dodgers’ roster in a bench role at some point in 2014.
- Jordan Lennerton, 1B, Tigers (Leones de Ponce, PRWL): 0-3, BB, 3 K. The winter league season is coming to a dwindling halt for Lennerton, who is now hitting just .100 in the Puerto Rican playoffs.
Bobby Abreu Homered Again
- Abreu’s unbelievable run gives him seven home runs in the Venezuelan playoffs alone, leaving us to wonder whether Leonardo DiCaprio will be able to pull off playing him when they make this into a movie.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now