- Francisco Peguero, CF, Orioles (Gigantes del Cibao, DWL): 4-5, 2 R. Peguero continued his red-hot winter with a four-hit day in the Dominican playoffs after hitting .380 in 18 regular-season games. He’s hot at the right time as he joined the Orioles this offseason and will compete for a bench spot this spring. The good news is that even if he cools off at the plate, he’s capable enough defensively to play center field, which will help him make the team. He’s streaky at the plate, however, and still profiles as a fourth outfielder.
- Jesus Aguilar, 1B, Indians (Leones del Caracas, VWL): 1-4, R, HR, K. After an 18-homer Venezuelan regular season, Aguilar connected on his first homer of the playoffs. His power display this winter has been impressive, but he’ll need to prove his hit tool will play at higher levels for that power to come into play.
- Orangel Arenas, RHP, Angels (Navegantes del Magallanes, VWL): 2/3 IP, BB, K. The struggles continued into winter ball for Arenas, and time is running out for him to be productive somewhere. Every little bit helps, even when it comes in two-thirds of an inning like this one did
- Carlos Martinez, RHP, Cardinals (Aguilas Cibaenas, DWL): 4 IP, 5 H, 5 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 5 K. It was a rough outing for Martinez which included giving up a three-run homer to Marcell Ozuna. Still, it has generally been a strong winter, and Martinez will be either a relief ace or a rotation member for the Cards this season.
- Zoilo Almonte, LF, Yankees (Aguilas Cibaenas, DWL): 0-5, K. One day after a strong day at the plate, Almonte takes the collar. This happens in baseball, obviously, but Almonte’s inconsistencies are a large part of why he’s a fourth outfielder and not an everyday player.
Your Daily Bobby Abreu Update: 1-3, 2 R, 2B, BB, K.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now