- Zoilo Almonte, LF, Yankees (Aguilas Cibaenas, DWL): 2-4, K. Almonte had a decent minor-league season followed up by struggles at the major-league level. He’s hit well this winter but his hit tool is below average for an everyday outfielder.
- Leury Garcia, UTIL, White Sox (Gigantes del Cibao, DWL): 1-4, 2 R, HR, K. Garcia connected on a rare home run on Wednesday while playing right field, a position that can only help his versatility. His ability to play a number of positions, including premium positions like shortstop, second base, and center field, will account for the bulk of his value to his new team.
- Anthony Garcia, RF, Cardinals (Gigantes del Cibao, DWL): 2-4, K. Garcia backed up a strong performance on Tuesday with another multi-hit game on Wednesday. After his struggles in 2013, it’s interesting to see Garcia hit for average.
- Daniel Corcino, RHP, Reds (Leones del Escogido, DWL): 2/3 IP, H, R, BB. Corcino has had a great winter for the Leones pitching in relief, but he’s run into some trouble in the playoffs. After a rough 2013 season in Triple-A and having had success as a reliever this winter, Corcino could be looking at a new role in his future. He’s still just 23, so the Reds might not make the move yet, but if he struggles at the start of this season, it could happen by the summer.
- Eddie Rosario, CF, Twins (Indios de Mayaguez, PRWL): 0-3, BB, K. The winter can’t end soon enough for Rosario, who continues to struggle to hit the ball. Of course, the 2014 season won’t start for 50 games for Rosario either, so that’s not going to be much better.
- Heiker Meneses, SS, Red Sox (Tiburones de La Guaira, VWL): 0-4. Meneses actually had a decent winter in a small sample size, but his hit tool is still fringy and there are enough middle-infield prospects in the Red Sox system to prevent him from ever playing for them regularly.
Major Leaguer of the Day
- Carlos Santana, 3B, Indians (Leones del Escogido, DWL): 2-4, R, HR. This was the third home run of the Dominican playoffs for Santana and yes, he once again got the start at third base.