- Joey Terdoslavich, 1B/OF, Braves (Aguilas Cibaenas, DWL): 3-4, 2 R, 2 2B, BB. Terdoslavich has just enough versatility, as a first baseman, corner outfielder, and third baseman in a pinch, and as a switch-hitter, to compete for a bench spot with the Braves this season. He could provide good pop off the bench.
- Reymond Fuentes, CF, Padres (Leones de Ponce, PRWL): 2-5, 3B, K. Fuentes will compete for a spot on the Padres roster this spring, but unlike Terdoslavich, Fuentes could actually win a starting role. More likely, however, he starts the year back in Triple-A, where he spent just 14 games last year before his major-league promotion. His success in the majors will come down to his ability to make contact.
- Jesus Aguilar, 1B, Indians (Leones de Caracas, VWL): 2-5, 2 R, HR, 2 K. Aguilar got back on the home run wagon on Monday, hitting his 18th of the winter, more than he hit during the 2013 regular season.
- Henry Ramos, RF, Red Sox (Leones de Ponce, PRWL): 2-4, R, K. Monday was Ramos’ fourth multi-hit game in a row, bring his average up to just .245 on the winter. He’s got plenty of tools and lots of power but has struggled to make contact, striking out 33 times in 40 winter league games.
- Jeurys Familia, RHP, Mets (Leones del Escogido, DWL): 1 2/3 IP, 2 H ,2 R (0 ER), 2 K. It’s been a strong few weeks for Familia, who appears to once again be healthy with reports of him reaching the upper-90s with his fastball. His outing on Monday does nothing to change that. Assuming he remains healthy, he’ll be competing for a bullpen spot this spring.
- Jose Valverde, RHP, Free Agent (Tigres del Licey, DWL): 2/3 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 2 HR. This isn’t a good way for Papa Grande to catch on with another team.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now