Prospect of the Day: Jonathan Singleton, 1B, Astros (Cangrejeros de Santurce, PRWL) 1-3, R, HR, 2 BB. Singleton has homered in two of his past three games with a three-strikeout game sandwiched in between. Still, he’s controlling the strike zone this winter, which is a good sign for his development.
- Gregory Polanco, CF, Pirates (Leones del Escogido, DWL): 2-4. There will be plenty of rumors this winter placing Polanco in trades to a number of teams, but the Pirates know they have the answer to their final outfield spot waiting not too far from the majors. The Pirates would have to be blown away to trade six years of an impact bat.
- Zoilo Almonte, LF, Yankees (Aguilas Cibaenas, DWL): 2-4, K. Almonte won’t have quite the impact in the Bronx that Polanco will in the ‘Burgh by the end of this season, but he could be in the majors sooner.
- Gary Sanchez, C, Yankees (Toros del Este, DWL): 0-1, 2 BB, K. Any time Sanchez draws walks it’s a good sign for the Yankees. He’ll always be an aggressive hitter, but his walk-to-strikeout ratios are heading in the right direction.
- Japhet Amador, 1B/DH, Astros (Naranjeros de Hermosillo, MWL): 1-4, 2 K. Just because Amador is fat, doesn’t mean he’s lazy. After playing in the Arizona Fall League, Amador joined the Naranjeros of the Mexican Winter League to get even more at-bats in before spring training.
- Christian Colon, INF, Royals (Leones de Ponce, PRWL): 3-4, 2 2B, K. Colon is listed as an infielder here because he played third base for the Leones on Tuesday. He was drafted as a shortstop and played more second base than anywhere else in 2013. It’s an international league, so the move isn’t coming directly from the Royals, but getting experience all over the infield should help him down the road.
- Billy Hamilton, CF, Reds (Cangrejeros de Santurce, PRWL): 0-3, R, BB, CS. Hamilton was caught stealing for the first time this winter after swiping six straight. He’s hitting just .158.