Pitching Prospect of the Day: Neil Ramirez, RHP, Rangers (Double-A Frisco): 7.0 IP, 3 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 11 K; plus fastball; potential plus slider; inconsistent changeup; get-me-over curveball; stuff will tick up in bursts; back-end starter or possible setup man; 43.0 IP, 21 H, 14 ER, 18 BB, 55 K in eight starts.
Position Prospect of the Day: Jesse Winker, LF, Reds (Low-A Dayton): 2-4, 2B, HR, R, RBI, K; plus potential hit tool; plus power potential; fringy runner; limited to left field; tough profile; bat will have to reach ceiling to fit major-league profile.
Other notable prospect performances on May 14:
- Chris Bostick, 2B, Athletics (Low-A Beloit): 2-3, 2 2B, R, 2 RBI, K; gap power; developing hit tool; solid-average runner; utility-man profile.
- Matt Bowman, RHP, Mets (High-A St. Lucie): 7.0 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 9 K; Princeton alum; plus command; back-end starter ceiling.
- Kelly Dugan, OF, Phillies (High-A Clearwater): 3-5, HR, 2 R, 2 RBI, 2 K; bat speed; power potential; major injury history; needs to stay on the field for a full season of at-bats to even be in consideration for the prospect radar; .328/.386/.531 with 2 2B, 1 3B, 3 HR in 64 at-bats.
- Grant Green, 2B, Athletics (Triple-A Sacramento): 2-4, 2 2B, R; solid-average hit tool; fringy runner; gap power; forced to play on right side of the infield; good, but not great prospect; .303/.363/.461 with 10 2B, 1 3B, 4 HR in 152 at-bats.
- Justin Nicolino, LHP, Marlins (High-A Jupiter): 6.0 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 K; solid fastball; changeup is an easy plus-plus offering; average curveball; plus-plus pitchability; mid-rotation starter ceiling; 40.2 IP, 45 H, 15 ER, 8 BB, 20 K in eight starts.
- Josh Phegley, C, White Sox (Triple-A Charlotte): 2-4, 2B, HR, 2 R, 3 RBI; mistake hitter; average bat speed; solid-average power potential; fringy runner; plus arm strength; average receiver; backup catcher profile; .330/.395/.670 with 9 2B and 9 HR in 106 at-bats.
- Yasiel Puig, RF, Dodgers (Double-A Chattanooga): 3-4, HR, 2 R, RBI, 2 BB; plus-plus power potential; plus runner; plus defensive profile; developing hit tool that has the average upside; .293/.337/.516 with 6 2B, 1 3B, 5 HR in 95 at-bats.
- Victor Roache, OF, Brewers (Low-A Wisconsin): 3-4, HR, R, 3 RBI, BB; plus-plus raw power; developing hit tool; solid-average arm; corner-outfield profile.
- Joe Ross, RHP, Padres (Low-A Fort Wayne): 6.0 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 7 K; fastball can touch mid 90s with good life; solid-average slider; developing changeup; gaining experience; mid-rotation ceiling; 37.2 IP, 29 H, 13 ER, 12 BB, 31 K in seven starts.
- Richie Shaffer, 3B, Rays (High-A Charlotte): 3-5, 2B, R, RBI, K; college bat; solid-average hit tool; plus power potential; plus arm; will need to show consistent power to fit corner-infield profile.
- Henry Urrutia, UT, Orioles (Double-A Bowie): 2-4, HR, 2 R, 3 RBI; lean frame; loose hands; easy swing; fringy power potential; unable to play center field; good approach; may get time at first base; difficult profile; .360/.415/.613 with 10 2B and 3 HR in 75 at-bats.
- Christian Villanueva, 3B, Cubs (Double-A Tennessee): 2-3, 2B, HR, R, RBI, BB, K; potential plus-plus defender; solid-average power potential; will expand zone against soft stuff; high-maintenance body; fringy runner; excellent makeup.
- Orlando Calixte, SS, Royals (Double-A Northwest Arkansas): 0-3, 3 K; flashes ability; good bat speed; flashy fielder; inconsistent on both sides of the ball; will expand the zone; struggling against breaking balls.
- Sherman Johnson, 3B, Angels (Low-A Burlington): 1-5, 4 K; college pedigree; hit tool will struggle against quality pitching.
- Luigi Rodriguez, OF, Indians (High-A Carolina): 0-3, BB, 3 K; free swinger; will expand the zone. The combination of these two flaws will lead to nights like this.
Deven Marrero, SS, Red Sox (High-A Salem): 0-4, 3 K; solid-average defensive profile; average hit tool; limited tools; overall well-rounded skillset should enable him to stay in the majors for a long time.