It was hard to pick just two hitters from Phoenix's 22-hit, 15-1 win over Surprise:
- Tim Beckham, 2B, Rays (22) (Phoenix): 4-for-5, 2B (1), 3B (2), 3 R, 4 RBI, BB. Hot hitting continues; now owns a five-game hit streak during which he is batting .409; .250/.302/.450 6-3 K-BB overall.
- Yordy Cabrera, 3B, Marlins (22) (Phoenix): 3-for-6, 2 R, 3 K. Has five hits in 12 at-bats since being traded to the Marlins (via the Diamondbacks) on October 20; hitting .381/.381/.571 5-0 K-BB overall.
- Arquimedes Caminero, RHP, Marlins (25) (Este): 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB. A dark horse relief prospect before 2011 Tommy John surgery put the brakes on his ascent; came back to throw 38.1 innings between High-A Jupiter and Double-A Jacksonville, where he posted a 1.64 ERA and 44-19 K-BB.
- Robbie Erlin, LHP, Padres (22) (Peoria): 3.0 IP, H, R, 2 BB, K. Has allowed just five hits and two walks while striking out nine in 7.2 innings.
- Tyson Gillies, CF, Phillies (23) (Lara): 2-for-5, K. Four multi-hit games out of his last five; batting .450/.522/.600 3-3 K-BB overall.
- Jiovanni Mier, SS, Astros (22) (Mesa): 2-for-4, 2 2B (3), RBI, K. Back-to-back two-hit games for one of my favorite former-first-rounder-turned-future-utility-infielders; batting .278/.333/.444 with a 3-2 K-BB overall.
- Mark Montgomery, RHP, Yankees (22) (Scottsdale): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, BB, 2 K. Possesses one of the filthiest sliders in the minors; struck out 99 batters in 64.1 innings between High-A Tampa and Double-A Trenton during the regular season and hasn’t slowed down in Arizona, where he’s 0-0, 1.50 ERA, 11-4 K-BB.
- Kevin Pillar, LF, Blue Jays (23) (Salt River): 3-for-5, 2 R. Old for a prospect, but all Pillar has ever done is hit: posted a .323/.339/.415 slash line after a mid-season promotion to High-A Dunedin, the lowest batting average he’s put up as a pro; batting .429/.478/.571 with five stolen bases and a 1-2 K-BB in 23 PA.
- Oscar Taveras, RF, Cardinals (20) (Cibaenas): 2-for-4. Has (predictably) hit well in limited playing time: .364/.417/.727 in 24 PA.
- Trayce Thompson, RF, White Sox (21) (Salt River): 2-for-3, HR (1), 2 R, 2 RBI, BB. Drawing walks, but struggling to get his batting average up to .200; batting .182/.379/.318 with an 8-7 K-BB.
- Sebastian Valle, C, Phillies (22) (Los Mochis): 1-for-4, 2B (2), R, BB, K. Another walk for Valle! (.286/.333/.667 6-2 K-BB)
- Angel Villalona, DH, Giants (22) (Este): 1-for-2. Hasn’t played domestically since 2009, but remains on San Francisco’s 40-man roster; hit .303/.430/.497 in the Dominican Summer League.
- Christian Villanueva, 3B/DH, Cubs (21) (Obregon): 2-for-4, HR (1), 2 RBI, BB, K. The key prospect sent to Chicago in last summer’s Ryan Dempster deal, Villanueva homered in his first start in the Mexican Pacific League; .400/.500/1.000 2-1 K-BB overall.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now
You can use the drop-down menu in the upper-right corner to navigate between teams.