Around The Majors
- Phillippe Aumont, RHP, Phillies (23): 0.2 IP, 0 H, 2 R, 2 BB. Walks finally come around to bite Aumont, as both of the hitters he walked came around to score in the Phillies’ 6-4 loss to Houston last night, thoroughly disappointing this kid. Aumont has the stuff to succeed – a heavy mid-90s sinker and a plus curve – but has trouble repeating his delivery, leading to bouts of wildness.
- Tyler Cloyd, RHP, Phillies (25): 3.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 0 BB, 4 K, HR. His worst start in the majors; 4.95 ERA, 20-3 K-BB overall and 9.00, 6-1 over his last two starts. Threw plenty of strikes yesterday (66 percent), but Astros hitters had no problem making contact.
- Matt Dominguez, 3B, Astros (23): 1-for-3, HR (4), 2 R, 3 RBI, BB, K. Three-run home run in the third inning put the cap on a rough outing for Phillies right-hander Tyler Cloyd; has three three-run home runs over the last week, but is only hitting .250 during that time.
- Anthony Gose, CF, Blue Jays (22): 1-for-3, 2B (4), R, BB, K. Strikeouts in three consecutive games, but also a pair of walks; batting .381/.435/.667 5-2 K-BB in September with four steals in four tries.
- B.J. Rosenberg, RHP, Phillies (26): 2.0 IP, 1 H, 2 K. Has a 2.08 ERA, 5-1 K-BB since giving up four runs in an inning of work against the Mets on August 28.
- Carlos Triunfel, SS, Mariners (22): 1-for-2, 2B (1). His first big-league hit, 1-for-3 (.333/.333/.667) overall; don’t get too excited about him at shortstop: a thick lower half limits his range and he’s likely to move off of the position sooner rather than later. He has the arm to handle third base, but has played only one game at the hot corner as a pro.
Around The Minors
- Tyler Anderson, LHP, Rockies (22) (Low-A Asheville): 7.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K. Colorado’s first-round pick (20th overall) out of Oregon in 2011, Anderson spent all year at Asheville despite being advanced for the South Atlantic League; has more command than stuff but keeps the ball down, which bodes well for his potential future in Denver.
- Bryce Brentz, RF, Red Sox (23) (Triple-A Pawtucket): 0-for-4, 4 K. Two golden sombreros in a month (last was August 21).
- Matt Davidson, 3B, Diamondbacks (21) (Double-A Mobile): 2-for-5, HR (2), 2 R, 2 RBI, 2 K. Hit .330 in April but just .246 the rest of the way; finished the regular season at .261/.367/.469.
- Jake Lamb, 3B, Diamondbacks (21) (Rookie Missoula): 2-for-4, HR (1), 2 R, 2 RBI. Diamondbacks’ sixth-round pick this year out of Washington; has an inside-out swing that limits his game power.
- Jiovanni Mier, SS, Astros (22) (High-A Lancaster): 3-for-5, 2B (2), 2 R, 2 RBI, K. Hit well (.292/.396/.409) around a hamstring injury that limited him to 204 plate appearances.
- Jared Mitchell, LF, White Sox (23) (Triple-A Charlotte): 2-for-3, R, At Double-A Birmingham, Mitchell hit .341 in April but was down to .240 by the time Chicago promoted him to Charlotte; hit .237/.358/.420 with 179-78 K-BB overall.
- Domingo Santana, RF, Astros (20) (High-A Lancaster): 3-for-4, 2 R, RBI. Hit .302/.385/.536 as a 19-year old in the California League, but handled himself well away from hitter-friendly Lancaster (.300/.374/.521); strong arm and plus power give Santana the perfect right-fielder profile.
- Trevor Story, SS, Rockies (19) (Low-A Asheville): 2-for-5, HR (2), 2 R, 2 RBI, 3 K. Home runs in each of his last two games; hitting .320 during the postseason.
- Taijuan Walker, RHP, Mariners (20) (Double-A Jackson): 5.1 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 9 K. Back-to-back strong starts in the postseason; 0.71 ERA, 13-4 K-BB in 12.2 innings.
- Mike Zunino, C, Mariners (21) (Double-A Jackson): 2-for-4. Now hitting .400 in the Southern League playoffs; Mariners’ top pick (third overall) in last June’s draft.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now