Around The Majors
- Rob Brantly, C, Marlins (23): 2-for-3, 2 R, BB, K. Extends his hitting streak to five games; two multi-hit games this week; hitting .305/.397/.492 overall.
- Matt Dominguez, 3B, Astros (23): 0-for-4, K. 1-for-11 over his last three games; batting .298/.327/.553 overall.
- Adam Eaton, CF, Diamondbacks (23): 0-for-3, BB. First hitless game, and only the second time he’s failed to record two hits, in the major leagues (six games); batting .357/.400/.429 overall.
- Brock Holt, 2B, Pirates (24): 2-for-4, K. Has filled in for injured Neil Walker marvelously; current seven-game hitting streak; lacks power but has a good approach and passable defense at second base; career .317/.381/.427 hitter in the minor leagues.
- Pete Kozma, SS, Cardinals (23): 1-for-4, K. Batting .556 since September 8; has hits in three-consecutive games after having hits in just three of 16 games in 2011.
- Manny Machado, SS/3B, Orioles (20): 1-for-4. Snaps two-game hitless streak.
- Trevor Rosenthal, RHP, Cardinals (22): ND, 1.0 IP, H, 3 K. First time he’s struck out the side in the major leagues.
- Jean Segura, SS, Brewers (22): 1-for-3, R, K. Hitting .350 in September; raised his batting average from .200 on August 31 to .233.
- Andrelton Simmons, SS, Braves (23): 2-for-3. First hits since coming back from a right hand injury that sidelined him for more than two months; batting .298/.341/.446 overall.
- Dan Straily, RHP, Athletics (23): W (2-0), 6.2 IP, 7 H, 3 R, BB, 8 K, 2 HR. Threw 67 percent of his pitches for strikes en route to his second big-league win in four starts; 3.42 ERA, 5.00 K/BB overall.
Around The Minors
- Trevor Bauer, RHP, Diamondbacks (21) (Triple-A Reno): W (2-0), 6.2 IP, 3 H, R, 5 BB, 5 K. Second-consecutive five-walk game after closing the regular season with four total walks over his last three starts.
- Bryce Brentz, RF, Red Sox (23) (Triple-A Pawtucket): 2-for-3, R, RBI, 2B (3), 3B (1). The streakiness continues, but at least this one’s a hot streak; hitting .471 in the International League playoffs.
- Cody Buckel, RHP, Rangers (20) (Double-A Frisco): L (0-1), 6.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 2 HR. Gives up a run for the first time in three starts.
- Johermyn Chavez, RF, Mariners (23) (Double-A Jackson): 2-for-4, R, 5 RBI, HR (1), 2 K. Improved, albeit slightly, in his second tour of the Southern League; has a howitzer attached to his right shoulder, but isn’t likely to hit enough to warrant an everyday job in the big leagues.
- Delta Cleary, LF, Rockies (23) (Advanced Class-A Modesto): 3-for-4, 2 RBI. Plenty of tools, but has been slow to put them all together; hit .277/.322/.368 after a mid-season promotion from Low-A Asheville.
- Delino DeShields Jr., 2B, Astros (20) (Advanced Class-A Lancaster): 2-for-4, 3 R, BB, K, SB (2); second-consecutive two-hit game; batting .258 during the postseason.
- Erik Johnson, RHP, White Sox (22) (Advanced Class-A Winston-Salem): L (0-2), 6.0 IP, 4 H, R, 2 BB, 6 K. Improved control after a promotion from Low-A Kannapolis; complements an above-average fastball with a plus slider.
- Brett Marshall, RHP, Yankees (22) (Double-A Trenton): L (0-2), 6.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 0 BB, 5 K. Has lost four-straight decisions dating back to the regular season.
- Carlos Martinez, RHP, Cardinals (20) (Double-A Springfield): W (1-0), 7.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 7 K. Earned the win by keeping the ball on the ground (12-1 GO-AO).
- Jake Odorizzi, RHP, Royals (22) (Triple-A Omaha): L (1-1), 3.2 IP, 9 H, 9 R, BB, 3 K, 4 HR. The marquee matchup between Odorizzi and Trevor Bauer fizzled when Reno chased Odorizzi in the fourth inning.
- James Paxton, LHP, Mariners (23) (Double-A Jackson): W (2-0), 7.1 IP, 4 H, 1 R, BB, 10 K. Hasn’t surrendered an earned run in 13 postseason innings (19-3 K-BB).
- Trevor Story, SS, Rockies (19) (Low-A Asheville): 2-for-4, 4 R, RBI, 2B (2), HR (1), BB, K. A supplemental first-round pick in last year’s draft, Story may not have a future at shortstop in Colorado, but should hit well enough to handle a move to second or third base (.277/.367/.505 during the regular season).
- Christian Yelich, CF, Marlins (20) (Advanced Class-A Jupiter): 2-for-4, R, K. One of the best pure hitters in the minor leagues, Yelich actually increased his power production (.484 to .519 SLG) when he moved up to the Florida State League this year.
- Mike Zunino, C, Mariners (21) (Double-A Jackson): 2-for-3, 3 R, RBI, 2B (2), 3B (1). Batting .444 in the postseason after hitting .360/.447/.689 between two levels this summer.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now