The 14th selection of the 2008 draft, Hicks has always had tremendous tools, but the numbers never matched. 2012 was not a make-or-break year, but as his first exposure to upper-level pitching, it was certainly a critical one, and he's passing with flying colors.
Hitting .303/.423/.505 since the All-Star break and .283/.381/.461 overall, Hicks has already set new career highs in home runs and stolen bases (27), and remains a plus center fielder with a plus-plus arm and an outstanding approach. His stock is not just up this year, it's up considerably and he's back to Top 100 status with plenty of room to spare.
Others Of Note:
- Chris Archer, RHP, Rays (Triple-A Durham): 6.2 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 8 K. 1.42 ERA in six games since returning to Triple-A.
- Javier Baez, SS, Cubs (High-A Daytona): 2-for-4, 2B, R, 3 RBI. First Florida State League hits after going 0-for-8 with five strikeouts in first two games after promotion.
- Matt Davidson, 3B, Diamondbacks (Double-A Mobile): 2-for-4, 2B, HR ( 20), R, RBI, K. Third-straight multi-hit game but still in overall second-half slump; .267/.374/.485 in 111 games.
- Andrew Heaney, LHP, Marlins (Rookie-level GCL Marlins): 4 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 5 K. First-round pick houldn't be at this level, so he's really just holding serve.
- David Holmberg, LHP, Diamondbacks (Double-A Mobile): 8 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 7 K. Second straight zero run start to lower ERA to 3.68; Solid stuff with plus command and control.
- Slade Heathcott, OF, Yankees (High-A Tampa): 3-for-5, 2B, HR (5), 3 R, RBI, SB. Healthy and producing in a big way; .282/.362/.511 in 37 games.
- Clay Holmes, RHP, Pirates (Short-season State College): 5 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K. 2011 ninth-round pick is huge righty with good stuff and control issues; 43.1 IP, 19 H, 20 BB, 30 K in nine starts.
- Alex Meyer, RHP, Nationals (High-A Potomac): 6 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 4 K. Not slowing down since move up to Carolina League; 0.78 ERA in four starts with .169 opponent's average.
- Wil Myers, OF, Royals (Triple-A Omaha): 3-for-4, 2 R, Despite all of the outcry from Royals fans, Myers has been slumping of late and has struck out 81 times in 286 PCL at-bats; .287/.370/.566 in 74 games.
- Rafael Montero, RHP, Mets (High-A St. Lucie): 7.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 5 K. 21-year-old Dominican is breakout pitcher in system thanks to low-90s heat and outstanding control; 2.13 ERA with 56 Ks in 50.2 innings in eight starts.
- Anthony Rendon, 3B, Nationals (High-A Potomac): 2-for-3, 2B, 2 R, BB. First full-season game in four months.
- Eddie Rosario, 2B, Twins (Low-A Beloit): 2-for-3, HR (8), 2 R, 4 RBI, BB. 16-for-36 (.444) since return from DL and .313/.372/.502 overall; reviews at second base are mixed, but bat impresses.
- Sam Selman, LHP, Royals (Rookie-level Idaho Falls): 5 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 11 K. Second-round pick is long, skinny southpaw with good velocity and a lot of angles; 1.31 ERA in nine games with 62 Ks in 41.1 innings.
- Kyle Smith, RHP, Royals (Low-A Kane County): 7 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 12 K. 2011 draft pick has plus fastball/breaking ball combination but small frame; 3.10 ERA with 54 Ks in 40.2 innings.
- Mike Zunino, C, Mariners (Short-season Everett): 3-for-4, 2B, HR (8), 2 R, 5 RBI, BB. Hitting .333/.430/.689 in first 24 pro games; but it's the Northwest League and expected.