Betances now has a 6.39 ERA, including a 9.00 mark in five June starts. He's walks 69 batters in 74.2 innings, and he hasn't had a quality start since early May. At some point you have to
give up the ghost. At some point it doesn't make sense to keep running him out there every five days to fail. Whether it's a move to the bullpen or some time off to work on his broken delivery, it's time to shake something up here.
Others Of Note:
- James Baldwin, OF, Dodgers (Low-A Great Lakes): 3-for-5, 2 3B, 2 R, 3 RBI. Amazing tools that once in a while shine; .218/.282/.298 in 57 games.
- Orlando Calixte, SS, Royals (High-A Wilmington): 1-for-3, HR (1), 2 R, 3 RBI, 2 BB, K, SB. Impressive shortstop with power and big holes in his swing; .368 in five games since promotion.
- Bobby Crocker, OF, Athletics (Low-A Burlington): 2-for-4, 3B, 3 RBI. Big, athletic outfielder getting into groove; 1005 OPS in 18 June games and .273/.349/.422 overall.
- Delino DeShields, 2B, Astros (Low-A Lexington): 3-for-5, 2B, HR (5), 3 R, 2 RBI, 2 BB, 2 SB. His 51 stolen bases would be getting attention if not for that Hamilton guy; .274/.380/.391 line represents significant improvement.
- Grant Green, UT, Athletics (Triple-A Sacramento): 2-for-4, 2B, 3B, R, 2 RBI, BB, SB. Being groomed for super-sub role? Has played 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF in last eight games and .292/.340/.458 overall.
- Courtney Hawkins, OF, White Sox (Rookie-level Bristol): 3-for-5, RBI, 2 K. First-round pick in just was 2-for-15 in first four pro games.
- Rymer Liriano, OF, Padres (High-A Lake Elsinore): 2-for-4, 2B, RBI. Hit .198 in April but .352 in 49 games since; .307/.367/.456 overall as only power has disappointed.
- Deven Marrero, SS, Red Sox (Short-season Lowell): 3-for-4, CS. First-round pick in June is 5-for-8 in first two pro games.
- Carlos Martinez, RHP, Cardinals (Double- A Springfield): 5 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 5 K. Best of three Double-A outings since promotion and showing some of the sharpest command of career.
- Brandon Nimmo, OF, Mets (Short-season Brooklyn): 0-for-4, 4 K. Ten walks and seven strikeouts in first 38 pro plate appearances.
- Matt Olson, 1B, Athletics (Rookie-level AZL Athletics): 1-for-5, HR (2), 2 R, RBI, K. Supplemental first-round pick has homered in his first two professional games.
- Francisco Peguero, OF, Giants (Triple-A Fresno): 4-for-4, R, RBI. One of the biggest disappointments in the system is suddenly hitting .323 in June; just .257/.286/.394 overall.
- Neil Ramirez, RHP, Rangers (Double-A Frisco): 6 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 3 BB, 6 K. First start since being sent down.
- Jean Segura, SS, Angels (Double-A Arkansas): 2-for-4, HR (7), R, RBI, CS. Continues to get better as the season goes on; up to .287/.330/.413 overall.
- Yordano Ventura, RHP, Royals (High-A Wilmington): 7 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 7 K. Ties season high in innings and progress from thrower into pitcher has been notable; 3.04 ERA with 85 strikeouts in 68 innings.
- Josh Vitters, 3B, Cubs (Triple-A Iowa): 2-for-3, HR (12), R, 2 RBI, K. Suddenly looking like he could be a line for a September callup; 944 OPS in June and .291/.341/.493 overall.
- Mason Williams, OF, Yankees (Low-A Charleston): 1-for-4, HR (8), R, RBI, K. A sudden power surge with four home runs in last five games; .307/.354/.504 overall.
- Alex Wood, LHP, Braves (Low-A Rome): 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R 0 BB, 4 K. Pro debut for 2nd-round pick; big velo for lefty.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now