When scanning the Eastern League roster for the Midwest League All-Star game yesterday, there were five pitchers really worth looking out for and three of them were Toronto farmhands. Still, no reason to forget about Musgrove and Norris. Signed for $500,000 last summer, Musgrove is a 6-foot-5 right-hander with the potential for power stuff, while Norris was arguably the best high school left-hander in last year's draft who signed for $2 million and touched 93 mph in a perfect pro debut last night. There's no team in baseball with as many talented young arms as the Blue Jays, and frankly, it's not even close.
Others Of Note:
- Jed Bradley, LHP, Brewers (High-A Brevard County): 2 IP, 5 H, 6 R, 4 BB, 0 K. Struggling with mechanics and a mess of late; 5.03 ERA and 18 R or 14 innings in last three starts.
- Jarred Cosart, RHP, Astros (Double-A Corpus Christi): 7 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 8 K. Best start of the year for frustrating power arm; 4.00 ERA with 53 Ks in 63 IP.
- Dylan Cozens, OF, Phillies (Rookie-level GCL Phillies): 2-for-4, HR (1), R, 3 RBI, K. 2012 second-round pick is massive (6-6, 235) physical specimen with massive raw power.
- Michael Main, OF, Marlins (Rookie-level GCL Marlins): 3-for-5, 2 R. Former first-round pick by the Rangers trying to come back as position player.
- Jennry Mejia, RHP, Mets (Triple-A Buffalo): 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K. Pitching every two days out of the bullpen in preparation of big league role.
- Levi Michael, SS, Twins (High-A Fort Myers): 2-for-2, 2B, RBI, 3 BB. Rare big game for disappointing 2011 first-rounder; .222/.324/.300 in 56 games.
- Brandon Miller, OF, Nationals (Short-season Auburn): 1-for-2, HR (2), 3 R, 3 RBI, 2 BB. 2012 fourth-round pick was drafted for his power and has homered in first two games.
- J.R. Murphy, C, Yankees (High-A Tampa): 2-for-4, 2B, HR (4), 2 R, 2 RBI, K. First hot streak of the year by going 10-for-24 with 18 total bases in last five games; .249/.313/.351 overall.
- Drew Pomeranz, LHP, Rockies (Triple-A Colorado Springs): 6 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 8 K. Deserves to be back in the big leagues; 2.61 ERA in this environment is more than impressive.
- Kyle Smith, RHP, Royals (Rookie-level Idaho Falls): 5 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 11 K. 2011 fourth-round pick is undersized righty with big arm strength.
- Blake Snell, LHP, Rays (Rookie-level Princeton): 5 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 7 K. Long-armed lefty who takes advantage of his angles; supplemental 1st round pick last June.
- Travis Snider, OF, Blue Jays (Triple-A Las Vegas): 1-for-3, HR (6), 3 R, 3 RBI, 2 BB. A healthy run should get him back to the big leagues; .336/.425/.607 in 29 games.
- Robert Stephenson, RHP, Reds (Rookie-level Billings): 5 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 8 K. Pro debut for 2011 first-round pick.
- Jameson Taillon, RHP, Pirates (High-A Bradenton): 7 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 5 K. Had been scuffling of late; 4.10 ERA with 67 Ks in 74.2 innings.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now