A first-round pick last June. Springer is having a fantastic first full year on paper, batting .294/.374/.551 with an outside shot at a 30/30 season with 14 home runs and 13 stolen bases in 60 games. That said, his stock hasn't really moved, as scouts wonder
how much of this is real and how much of this in Lancaster. Springer is hitting just .263/.326/.424 on the road, and he's struck out 74 times in 245 at-bats. Despite those numbers, he's really just held serve, and we might not know what he is until he gets to Double-A in 2013.
Others Of Note:
- Hanser Alberto, SS/3B, Rangers (Low-A Hickory): 2-for-5, 2B, 2 R, RBI, K. 19-year-old has hit at least .319 in every month; .342/.388/.464 overall in 59 games.
- Javier Baez, SS, Cubs (Low-A Peoria): 1-for-4, HR (4), R, 2 RBI, K. Home runs tend to be monster tape-measure blasts; .310/.394/.569 in 16 games.
- Matt Barnes, RHP, Red Sox (High-A Salem): 5 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 9 K. Has exceeded every expectation and 2013 timetable is not out of the question; 1.37 ERA in eight Carolina League starts with 53 Ks, 8 BB in 46 innings.
- Jorge Bonifacio, OF, Royals (Low-A Kane County): 2-for-4, 2B, R, RBI. Fourth straight multi-hit game (9-for-19) with each including an extra-base hit; .313/.371/.467 in 64 games.
- Reid Brignac, SS, Rays (Triple-A Durham): 2-for-4, 2B, HR (4), R, 2 RBI, BB, K. Former highly-regarded prospect has not gotten it going; .187/.279/.313 in 39 games.
- Dylan Bundy, RHP, Orioles (High-A Frederick): 3.2 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 2 BB, 5 K. Mortal!
- Michael Choice, OF, Athletics (Double-A Midland): 3-for-4, 2B, R, 2 RBI. It was about this time last season that Choice went on a tear; 14 total bases in last five games and up to .270/.349/.375.
- Gerrit Cole, RHP, Pirates (High-A Bradenton): 5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 7 K. Rarely dominant, but consistently good; 2.55 ERA with 69 Ks in 67 innings.
- Kaleb Cowart, 3B, Angels (Low-A Cedar Rapids): 4-for-5, 2B, HR (9), 3 R, 4 RBI. Impressing scouts with feel for hitting and baseball instincts; .297/.350/.488 in 64 games.
- Robbie Grossman, OF, Pirates (Double-A Altoona): 3-for-5, 2B, R, K. Just his second three-hit game of the year in one of the season's make disappointing showings; .220/.313/.346 in 57 games.
- Matt Harvey, RHP, Mets (Triple-A Buffalo): 7 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 2 BB, 10 K. Has been inconsistent, but also reached double-digit strikeouts three times; 3.87 ERA with 74 Ks in 74.1 innings.
- Brett Jackson, OF, Cubs (Triple-A Iowa): 3-for-4, 3B, 2 R, 2 RBI, K, SB. Numbers coming into line as he's hit .352 in last 15 games; .267/.342/.498 overall but 86 Ks in 243 innings.
- Michael Kickham, LHP, Giants (Double-A Richmond): 7 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 5 K. Big southpaw has 1.55 ERA in last five starts; 2.92 ERA on season with back-end rotation possibilities.
- Francisco Lindor, SS, Indians (Low-A Lake County): 1-for-2, 2B, R, RBI, 6 BB, K. In fairness, one of the six walks was intentional; .280/.361/.402 in 57 games.
- Rymer Lirino, OF, Padres (High-A Lake Elsinore): 2-for-4, 2B, HR (4), R, RBI, K. Hit .198 in 23 April games but .350 since; .299/.360/.443 overall.
- Wil Myers, OF, Royals (Triple-A Omaha): 1-for-5, HR (10), R, 2 RBI, K. Seven home runs in last 14 games as rumors of the Royals putting Jeff Francouer on the block start to pop up; .321/.390/.698 in 28 games.
- Steven Moya, OF, Tigers (Low-A West Michigan): 1-for-4, HR (8), R, 2 RBI, BB, 2 K, SB. Raw six-foot-seven slugger has home runs in three of last five games; .293/.323/.481 overall.
- Jean Segura, SS, Angels (Double-A Arkansas): 2-for-4, HR (5), R, RBI, CS. On best run of season with .527 slugging percentage in June; .288/.327/.408 overall with solid defensive reviews.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now