One of the most tooled up players in the system, Witherspoon impressed scouts last year in the Low-A Midwest League despite a .245/.313/.394 batting line as with plus-plus speed, a decent approach and a bit of power, he has the chance to be
a significant prospect if he can just hit. It's hard to say if this is a step forward or a California League mirage, but the 23-year-old is a remarkable 30-for-63 (.476) in his last 16 games and up to .320/.394/.475 overall and at least worth keeping an eye on.
Others Of Note:
- Jackie Bradley, OF, Red Sox (High-A Salem): 2-for-3, 2B, R, RBI. 19-for-37 in last ten games with ten doubles; .388/.498/.587 on the season and should be in Double-A soon.
- Garin Cecchini, 3B, Red Sox (Low-A Greenville): 2-for-5, 2 2B, R, RBI, K. Hitting .316/.396/.459 overall, but just .215 against lefties.
- Kyle Crick, RHP, Giants (Low-A Augusta): 7 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 10 K. Best start of the year for high ceiling righthander who can dominate when on; 3.45 ERA with 61 Ks in 47 IP.
- Jedd Gyorko, 2B, Padres (Triple-A Tuscon): 2-for-5, 2B, HR (7), R, RBI, K. Not sure what the Padres are waiting for; .366/.406/.667 in 21 games since promotion.
- Billy Hamilton, SS, Reds (High-A Bakersfield): 1-for-4, 2 R, 2 SB (69). Yawn.
- Junior Lake, SS/3B, Cubs (Double-A Tennesee): 3-for-3, 2 RBI, BB. First walk in 14 games but overall season has been a step forward; .296/.354/.452 in 28 games.
- Wil Myers, OF, Royals (Triple-A Omaha): 1-for-4, HR (8), R, 4 RBI, BB. Grand slam off Roy Oswalt puts him one off minor league home run lead with 21; .321/.369/.718 in 21 Triple-A games.
- Eddie Rosario, OF, Twins (Low-A Beloit): 3-for-4, 2B, 2 R, RBI. Overshadowed by Sano but the hit tools has impressed scouts; .304/.365/.491 in 58 games.
- Mason Williams, OF, Yankees (Low-A Charleston): 2-for-5, 2B, 2 R, K, SB. Eight hits and 14 total bases in last four games; .299/.359/.462 overall.