Vinicio was an exciting prospect when he wasn't putting up numbers, but a nine-game hitting streak (15-for-33, .455) has lifted his season averages to .288/.347/.423, and he's one of the best young shortstop prospects around. Just 18 years old,
Vinicio is an easy plus defender with above-average speed, and if he hits, he's a potential star and arguably the best prospect on an impressive Greenville roster.
Others Of Note:
- Jordan Akins, OF, Rangers (Low-A Hickory): 2-for-3, HR (6), 2 R, 2 RBI; 2-for-2, BB. Crazy upside, but crazy raw with 51 strikeouts and four walks in 131 at-bats; .214/.241/.382 in 39 games.
- Corey Brown, OF, Nationals (Triple-A Syracuse): 2-for-5, HR (11), R, 5 RBI, 2 K. Home runs in three straight games and six of his last 11; .286/.394/.531 in 46 games.
- Nick Castellanos, 3B, Tigers (High-A Lakeland): 4-for-4, R. So much for staying below .400; .411/.474/.554 in 43 games.
- Garin Cecchini, 3B, Red Sox (Low-A Greenville): 2-for-2, HR (2), 2 R, 2 RBI, 3 BB; Best pure bat in system is hitting .354 in last 20 games; .308/.393/.442 overall in 40 games.
- Anthony Gose, OF, Blue Jays (Triple-A Las Vegas): 2-for-4, 2B, R, RBI, BB, K. Horrible start in April is firmly in the rear-view mirror; .325/.402/.538 in 20 May games and .264/.345/.396 overall.
- Jedd Gyorko, 2B/3B, Padres (Triple-A Tucson): 2-for-5, HR (2), 2B, HR, 3 RBI. 17 total bases in six games since promotion; next promotion could come soon.
- Billy Hamilton, SS, Reds (High-A Bakersfield): 3-for-5, 2B, 3 R, 2 RBI, BB, 2 SB (42). Back to the pace of one stolen base per game after mini slump; .320/.395/.477 in 42 games.
- Taylor Jungmann, RHP, Brewers (High-A Brevard County): 7.2 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 8 K. Best start of the month and a career-high in Ks; 2.90 ERA with 44 Ks in 62 innings.
- Junior Lake, SS/3B, Cubs (Double-A Tennessee): 3-for-5, HR (2), R, RBI, K. .310/.412/.517 in 15 games but also seven errors.
- Starling Marte, OF, Pirates (Triple-A Indianapolis): 3-for-4, R, K, 3 SB. Five hits in last two games to lift batting average 21 points; .260/.325/.418 line is still below expectations.
- Trevor May, RHP, Phillies (Double-A Reading): 2 IP, 8 H, 7 R, 1 BB, 1 K. Worst start of the year ups ERA from 2.91 to 4.10; 49 Ks in 48.1 innings.
- Brad Miller, SS, Mariners (High-A High Desert): 3-for-5, HR (9), 2 R, 2 RBI, BB. Yes it's High Desert, but Miller can really hit despite awkward set-up and mechanics; .318/.415/.570 in 44 games.
- Wil Myers, OF, Royals (Triple-A Omaha): 3-for-5, HR (1), R, 2 RBI, K. 8-for-20 with 14 total bases and four walks in six PCL games; like Rizzo, it's complicated to get him to the big leagues.
- Rougned Odor, 2B, Rangers (Low-A Hickory): 2-for-4, 2B, HR (6), 2 R, 2 RBI; 2-for-2, 2B, R, RBI, SB, CS. How to raise your OPS 62 points in an evening; .279/.339/.474 in 40 games.
- Anthony Rizzo, 1B, Cubs (Triple-A Iowa): 3-for-5, HR (15), 5 R, 3 RBI. Up to .352/.418/.697 with 15 home runs in 165 at-bats; service time counting would call for a late July call-up.
- Domingo Santana, OF, Astros (High-A Lancaster): 2-for-5, 2 HR (7), 2 R, 2 RBI, 2 K. Contact issues are real, but so is power; .256/.320/.511 in 34 games.
- Max Stassi, C, Athletics (High-A Stockton): 3-for-4, 2B, 4 R, 3 RBI, BB, K. Outstanding defensive catcher who just needs to hit a bit (and stay healthy) to be a very real prospect; .274/.313/.493 in 20 games.
- Trevor Story, SS/3B, Rockies (Low-A Asheville): 2-for-5, 2B, HR (7), R, RBI. Home runs in back-to-back games and .290/.385/.559 in 39 games; scouts see a legitimate shortstop as well.
- Will Swanner, C, Rockies (Low-A Asheville): 2-for-3, 2B, HR (5), R, 5 RBI, BB. Hitting an impressive .330/.394/.649 in 27 games, but no progress defensively as he's thrown out just five of 47 attempted base stealers.
- Matt Szczur, OF, Cubs (High-A Daytona): 2-for-4, 2B, 2 R, RBI, BB, K, SB. Fourth two-hit contest in five games and up to .270/.364/.396; as a nearly 23-year-old in High-A some scouts expect more.
- Julio Teheran, RHP, Braves (Triple-A Gwinnett): 7 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 3 K. Jekyll and Hyde season continues; 2.98 ERA in nine starts with 32 Ks in 42.1 innings.
- Yordano Ventura, RHP, Royals (High-A Wilmington): 5 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 9 K. Continues to show improvement is secondary and location; 2.84 ERA with 58 Ks in 44.1 innings.