Owings is one of those players from whom the numbers have rarely matched the scouting reports. Scouts see a true shortstop with a quick bat and surprising power for his size, but he's often been undone by his approach, as in 2011 at this same level, he hit .246/.274/.388 with 130 strikeouts and just 15 walks in 121 games. He's still swinging at everything, and with
49 strikeouts in 163 at-bats his .331/.364/.571 line is not sustainable, but it's definitely progress.
Others Of Note:
- Jorge Bonifacio, OF, Royals (Low-A Kane County): 3-for-4, HR (2), 2 R, 2 RBI. Miguel Sano taking much of the attention away from another 18 year-old who is dominating the league; 10-for-16 in last four games and .340/.414/.473 overall.
- Nick Castellanos, 3B, Tigers (High-A Lakeland): 2-for-5, 2B, RBI, 2 K. Of course, this lowers his batting average; .405/.451/.554 in 37 games.
- Garrin Cecchini, 3B, Red Sox (Low-A Greenville): 2-for-5, 2B, R, 2 RBI, 2 K. Began the year 3-for-27 but has hit .349 since; .301/.367/.434 overall.
- Delino Deshields, 2B, Astros (Low-A Lexington): 2-for-4, 3B, 3 R, 2 RBI, BB, 4 SB. .241/.349/.333 line in second season at Low-A is disappointment; but 24 stolen bases in 25 attempts catches the eye.
- Billy Hamilton, SS, Reds (High-A Bakersfield): 0-for-2, R, 2 BB, K, 3 SB. The only problem with his statistical line is the 11 errors in 33 games at shortstop; .340/.415/.514 with 38 stolen bases in 36 games overall.
- Alen Hanson, 2B, Pirates (Low-A West Virginia): 3-for-5, 2B, HR (6), 2 R, RBI. The power has been has shocking as the batting average; .358/.397/.617 in 38 games.
- Brandon Jacobs, OF, Red Sox (High-A Salem): 3-for-5, 2B, R, 2 RBI, K. Still waiting on the power but at least the bat has come around; 20-for-54 (.370) in last 13 games and .295/.343/.411 overall.
- Francisco Lindor, SS, Indians (Low-A Lake County): 2-for-5, 2B, RBI, K. Fifth straight two-hit game and .322/.369/.490 overall; rare to see an 18-year-old shortstop who is too good for Low-A.
- Brett Marshall, RHP, Yankees (Double-A Trenton): 7 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K. 13 shutout innings in last two starts to lower ERA to 2.79; best pitch is low-90s fastball with life and command.
- D.J. Mitchell, RHP, Yankees (Triple-A Empire State): 7 IP, 4 H, 1 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 6 K. Sinker/slider specialist has been outstanding and will likely be back in big leagues this year; 2.75 ERA with .195 opponent's average.
- Marcel Ozuna, OF, Marlins (High-A Jupiter): 2-for-4, HR (8), R, RBI, K; 2-for-2, 2 R, K. 2012 season would be best described as streaky; .254/.301/.458 in 37 games.
- Eury Perez, OF, Nationals (Double-A Harrisburg): 4-for-5, 2 2B, R, 2 RBI, 2 SB. 9-for-13 streak has batting average up 41 points in three days; .253/.282/.300 in 34 games.
- Gary Sanchez, C, Yankees (Low-A Charleston): 2-for-5, 2B, HR (2), 2 R, 6 RBI, K. Hitting .333/.380/.483 in 30 games, but defensive reviews remain ugly.
- Jameson Taillon, RHP, Pirates (High-A Bradenton): 5.2 IP, 7 H, 6 R, 2 BB, 4 K. First bad start of the year; 2.95 ERA in eight starts and has yet to walk more than two in a game.
- Mason Williams, OF, Yankees (High-A Charleston): 3-for-4, R, 2 RBI, CS. Has met every expectation with .315/.355/.480 line in 31 games.