Do not adjust your sets, as Myers is suddenly playing third base on occasion, while continuing to slaughter Texas League pitching to the tune of .346/.419/.746 in 34 games. It's an interesting attempt to increase Myers' value; with a good amount of athleticism and a plus arm, he has the tools to make it work, not that it always does (see: Braun, Ryan). The move has created a whirlwind of response on Twitter, but this is not a statement about the future of Mike Moustakas nor even Myers, it's just something to give a spin during a player's development, because if you have a chance to move a player the right way on the defensive spectrum, you at least try it.
Others Of Note:
- Archie Bradley, RHP, Diamondbacks (Low-A South Bend): 5 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6 K. Has allowed just 14 hits over 40 innings with 44 strikeouts. A bit less velocity than Bundy, but a better frame and breaking ball.
- Corey Brown, OF, Nationals (Triple-A Syracuse): 2-for-4, 2B, HR (6), 2 R, RBI. Featured in yesterday's Ten Pack; 17 total bases in last four games and .275/.394/.479 overall.
- Dylan Bundy, RHP, Orioles (Low-A Delmarva): 5 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 3 K. First five inning outing; opposing batters are 4-for-79 with 36 strikeouts against him.
- Kaleb Cowart, 3B, Angels (Low-A Quad Cities): 3-for-5, 3B, 3 RBI, 2 K. Third baseman is showing power and defense, but struggling against lefties; .275/.331/.493 overall.
- Corey Dickerson, OF, Rockies (High-A Modesto): 2-for-5, 2B, HR (6), R, 2 RBI. Fourth-straight two-hit game with three doubles a triple and two home runs over that span; .357/.407/.630 in 38 games.
- Sean Gilmartin, LHP, Braves (Double-A Mississippi): 6 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 4 K. Has gone at least six innings in every start this year, and being consistent is a big part of his value.
- Alen Hanson, SS, Pirates (Low-A West Virginia): 3-for-4, 2B, 2 R, BB. Flirting with .400 is over after 6-for-37 slump; still at .359/.400/.608 in 36 games.
- Junior Lake, SS/3B, Cubs (Double-A Tennesee): 2-for-2, 2B, HR (1), 4 R, 3 RBI, SB; 1-for-4, K, CS. Has been outstanding at the plate in eight games (.296/.457/.556), but not so much in the field (5 errors).
- Francisco Lindor, SS, Indians (Low-A Lake County): 2-for-4, HR (4), R, 5 RBI. First game in five days (family emergency); .312/.358/.475 in 32 games.
- Mikie Mahtook, OF, Rays (High-A Charlotte): 2-for-3, 2 2B, 2 R, BB. Batting average up 25 points with four straight multi-hit games but still looking for first home run; .287/.351/.341 overall.
- Jennry Mejia, RHP, Mets (High-A St. Lucie): 6 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 7 K. Sitting in the low-90s and touching 96 with usual heavy sink.
- Jared Mitchell, OF, White Sox (Double-A Birmingham): 2-for-4, 3B, HR (2), 2 R, RBI, K. First multi-hit game in nearly three weeks, but still hitting .273/.388/.484 in 37 games in what has been nice bounce back year.
- James Paxton, LHP, Mariners (Double-A Jackson): 3 IP, 3 H, 5 R, 4 BB, 2 K. Fantastic start well in the rear view mirror at this point as location issues continue to plague him.
- Adys Portillo, RHP, Padres (Low-A Fort Wayne): 6 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K. 20 shutout innings in last three starts; 1.22 ERA in 44.1 innings with just 22 hits allowed.
- Edward Salcedo, 3B, Braves (High-A Lynchburg): 3-for-4, HR (4), 2 R, 2 RBI. Toolsy Dominican has plenty of upside but still is prone to slumps and approach lapses; .270/.320/.445 in 35 games.
- Jerry Sands, OF/1B, Dodgers (Triple-A Albuquerque): 3-for-3, 2B, HR (7), 2 R, RBI, BB. 6-for-7 in last two games with three home runs to lift OPS 130 points; .257/.348/.485 in 36 games.
- Keyvius Sampson, RHP, Padres (Double-A San Antonio): 6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 6 K. Nice recovery from worst start of the year; missing plenty of bats, but also missing the strike zone too often.