Castellanos was barely on the prospect radar heading into the 2011 season, but he was in the midst of a breakout year at Double-A Springfield, batting .319/.379/.562 in 93 games, which made him a key component in the deal to acquire Rafael Furcal from the Dodgers. He kept on hitting after the trade, and while Albuquerque certainly helps his numbers, a .364/.462/.745 line after 13 games is impressive anywhere, and more importantly, his return to second base from the outfield has been a surprising success with scouts seeing him as potentially average there.
Others Of Note:
- Jordan Akins, OF, Rangers (Low-A Hickory): 2-for-4, 2B, HR (2), 2 R, RBI, K. All sorts of tools and all sorts of holes in his game; .243/.282/.432 in 12 games.
- Tyler Austin, OF, Yankees (Low-A Charleston): 2-for-4, R, BB. Seventh straight multi-hit game; .450/.500/.975 in 10 games overall.
- Jorge Bonifacio, OF, Royals (Low-A Kane County): 2-for-3, 2 R, BB; 1-for-3, R, 2 K; Now at .422/.519/.578 in 12 games with as many walks (8) as strikeouts (8); doesn't turn 19 until June.
- Jackie Bradley, OF, Red Sox (High-A Salem): 2-for-3, 2B, R, 3 RBI, BB, K. 2-for-16 in first five games but 8-for-18 since; .294/.426/.353 overall.
- Jed Bradley, LHP, Brewers (High-A Brevard County): 6 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 7 K. First-round pick still has an ERA of 0.00 after 19 innings.
- Cody Buckel, RHP, Rangers (High-A Myrtle Beach): 5 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 3 BB, 5 K. Has allowed six hits over 15 innings while striking out 21; will likely finish year in Double-A.
- Dylan Bundy, RHP, Orioles (Low-A Delmarva): 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K. Nine hitless innings and 15 strikeouts in three starts; three innings at a time makes it hard for scouts to evaluate.
- Edwar Cabrera, LHP, Rockies (Double-A Tulsa): 8 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 8 K. Changeup specialist took perfect game and is rapidly proving that his stuff works at the upper levels.
- Simon Castro, RHP, White Sox (Double-A Birmingham): 7 IP, 5 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 7 K. First good start for former Padre acquired in Carlos Quentin deal.
- Brody Colvin, RHP, Phillies (High-A Clearwater): 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K. Encouraging showing from athletic righty who is repeating the level after falling apart mechanically last year.
- Zach Cone, OF, Rangers (Low-A Hickory): 1-for-4, HR (4), R, RBI, SB. One of the bigger surprises in the system; .304/.373/.652 in 12 games but worries about ability to hit the breaking ball.
- Cheslor Cuthbert, 3B, Royals (High-A Wilmington): 2-for-4, 2 RBI, BB. First multi-hit game of the year; .194/.318/.250 in 10 games.
- Garrett Gould, RHP, Dodgers (High-A Rancho Cucamonga): 4.2 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 9 K. 21 strikeouts in 13.1 innings overall; No. 3 or 4 starter profile.
- Jose Fernandez, RHP, Marlins (Low-A Greensboro): 6 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 7 K. First-round pick has been a revalation so far; 17 IP, 9 H, 6 BB, 25 K in three strarts.
- Wilmer Flores, 3B, Mets (High-A St. Lucie): 2-for-3, 2 2B, 2 RBI, BB. Has moved to third base so there's more pressure on the bat; .286/.341/.343 in 11 games.
- Billy Hamilton, SS, Reds (High-A Bakersfield): 2-for-5, 3 R, K, SB. 7-for-13 in last three games and .386/.481/.636 in 12 overall with 11 stolen bases.
- Alen Hanson, SS, Pirates (Low-A West Virginia): 2-for-4, 3B, 2 R, RBI, BB, K, CS. 19-year-old Dominican is hitting .400/.450/.800 in 13 games, but defensive reviews have not been especially kind.
- Cesar Hernandez, 2B, Phillies (Double-A Reading): 5-for-6, 5 R, RBI, K. Has plus hit tool, and needs to as second-base only prospect; .333/.362/.467 in 11 games.
- Tyrell Jenkins, RHP, Cardinals (Low-A Quad Cities): 4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K. Nice recovery from opening day disaster.
- Ian Krol, LHP, Athletics (High-A Stockton): 6 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 6 K. Breakout player in 2010 is trying to rebound from lost 2011 season.
- Ryan Lavarnway, C, Red Sox (Triple-A Pawtucket): 2-for-4, HR (2), R, RBI. Home runs in back-to-back games; .231/.388/.410 overall in 11.
- Taylor Lindsey, 2B, Angels (High-A Inland Empire): 1-for-2, HR (1), R, RBI, BB. Starting to turn it around after brutal start; .225/.340/.400 in 11 games.
- Trevor May, RHP, Phillies (Double-A Reading): 5 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 7 K. 17 IP, 11 H, 6 BB, 19 K in three starts for top prospect in the system.
- Henry Owens, LHP, Red Sox (Low-A Greenville): 4 IP, 4 H, 5 R, 3 BB, 8 K. Downright strange season; has given up more runs than innings pitched (11.81 ERA) in all three starts, yet has struck out 22 over 10.2 innings.
- Adys Portillo, RHP, Padres (Low-A Fort Wayne): 4.2 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 9 K. Season high last year at Fort Wayne was eight Ks; left game early with leg cramps.
- Neil Ramirez, RHP, Rangers (Triple-A Round Rock): 6 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K. Maybe more important that the numbers, it's his longest start since early June of last year.
- Dan Straily, RHP, Athletics (Double-A Midland): 6.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 10 K. Nice sleeper with control and arm strength; 23 strikeouts and four walks in 16.1 innings.
- Julio Teheran, RHP, Braves (Triple-A Gwinnett): 5.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 7 K. Second straight dominant outing; more to come in tomorrow's scouting notebook.
- Sebastian Valle, C, Phillies (Double-A Reading): 3-for-5, 2B, 2 R, 3 RBI, BB, K. Hitting .333/.372/.462 in 10 games, but 13 strikeouts in 39 at-bats is concern.
- Taijuan Walker, RHP, Mariners (Double-A Jackson): 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 7 K. 19 year-old has 15 strikeouts in 11 Double-A innings while limiting Southern League hitters to a .158 batting average.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now