Scooter Gennett, 2B, Brewers (Double-A Huntsville): 3-for-4, 2 HR (2), 2 R, 4 RBI
All Gennett does is hit. He's small, he doesn't walk enough, he's just an average runner and his defense at second base can get sloppy, but he hits. He hits everything. He hits velocity, he hits off-speed, he hits inside, he hits outside, he just barrels everything. Whether that proves to be enough is still debatable, but with a .321/.345/.472 line in his first 12 games, proving himself at the upper levels is helping his cause.
Others Of Note:
- Matt Adams, 1B, Cardinals (Triple-A Memphis): 3-for-4. .413/.449/.696 in 12 games.
- Aaron Altherr, OF, Phillies (Low-A Lakewood): 3-for-4, 2B, 3B, R. 21-year-old tool shed looking much better in second try at Lakewood: .286/.348/.476 in 11 games.
- Tyler Austin, OF, Yankees (Low-A Charleston): 2-for-4, 3B, 3 R, RBI, BB, K, SB. 14-for-27 in last six games and .444/.487/1.028 overall as 11 of 16 hits have gone for extra bases.
- Dellin Betances, RHP, Yankees (Triple-A Empire State): 4.2 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 4 BB, 4 K. This is not progress.
- Archie Bradley, RHP, South Bend (Low-A South Bend): 5 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 8 K. Because he's making full starts, one could easily argue that he's been as impressive as Bundy; 16 IP, 6 H, 6 BB, 22 Ks in three outings.
- Jose Campos, RHP, Yankees (Low-A Charleston): 5 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 7 K. And that's his worst start in three turns; Sally League hitting .093 against him.
- Alex Castellanos, 2B, Dodgers (Triple-A Albuquerque): 2-for-5, 3B, HR (1), R, 2 RBI, K. Ex-Cardinal can really hit (.340/.441/.640), but reviews at second base are mixed.
- Lonnie Chisenhall, 3B, Indians (Triple-A Columbus): 3-for-5, 2 2B, HR (4), R, 2 RBI. 9-for-18 with 15 total bases in last five games; .380/.404/.720 in 12 games and quickening his return to Cleveland.
- Zach Cone, OF, Rangers (Low-A Hickory): 3-for-4, HR (3), R, 2 RBI. Supplemental first-round pick last June looked lost in pro debut but now at .310/.383/.619 in first 11 games.
- Sean Coyle, 2B, Red Sox (High-A Salem): 3-for-4, 2B, 2 R, K. First three-hit game it what has been otherwise slow start; .256/.293/.385 in nine games.
- Matt Davidson, 3B, Diamondbacks (Double-A Mobile): 2-for-5, 2B, HR (1), R, 3 RBI, K. Power finally arrives with eighth multi-hit game in last nine; .455/.571/.682 in 12 games.
- David Filak, RHP, Braves (Low-A Rome): 5 IP, 5 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 11 K. 2011 draftee has size and arm strength but profiles as a reliever; 22 Ks in 15 innings.
- Mike Foltynewicz, RHP, Astros (Low-A Lexington): 7 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 6 K. 2010 first-rounder is repeating the level but finally putting up some good numbers; size and stuff are still there.
- Christian Friedrich, LHP, Rockies (Triple-A Colorado Springs): 7 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 6 K. Some signs of life from former top prospect; PCL hitting .182 against him in three starts.
- Kyle Gaedele, OF, Padres (Low-A Fort Wayne): 2-for-4, 2B, HR (1), R, 2 RBI, 2 K. Athletic but quite raw for a 22-year-old; .276/.371/.448 in nine games.
- Johnny Giavotella, 2B, Royals (Triple-A Omaha): 2-for-6, HR (2), R, 3 RBI, K. Not sure why he was sent down in the first place, not sure why he won't be back up soon.
- Justin Grimm, RHP, Rangers (Double-A Frisco): 6.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K. 0.50 ERA and .115 opponent's average in three starts; scouting reports are strong with more convinced he can start long term.
- Billy Hamilton, SS, Reds (High-A Bakersfield): 2-for-5, 2B, R, SB. 12-for-21 in last six games and .385/.489/.667 overall in 11 games; the 10 stolen bases is not a surprise, but seven of his 15 hits going for extra bases sure is.
- Bryce Harper, OF, Nationals (Triple-A Syracuse): 2-for-4, 2B, R, K. First two-hit game since opening day; .244/.277/.378 in 11 games.
- Tyler Matzek, LHP, Rockies (High-A Modesto): 6 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 4 K. Three-for-three in good starts this year; 1.72 ERA and .214 opponent's average.
- Cory Mazzoni, RHP, Mets (High-A St. Lucie): 5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K. 1.13 ERA in three starts; has chance to look like a back-end starter more than a reliever at this pace.
- Melky Mesa, OF, Yankees (Double-A Trenton): 2-for-4, HR (3), R, 2 RBI. All sorts of tools but not all sorts of results; 6-for-11 with two bombs in last three games.
- Matthew Neil, RHP, Marlins (High-A Jupiter): 6 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K. Big right-hander is extreme strike thrower without much pure stuff.
- Jimmy Nelson, RHP, Brewers (High-A Brevard County): 7 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 7 K. Huge right-hander's stock is rising with every start thanks to improved velocity; 21 Ks in 17 IP with just nine hits allowed.
- Rougned Odor, 2B, Rangers (Low-A Hickory): 3-for-4, HR (2), R, 2 RBI. 18-year-old Venezuelan has gone deep in back-to-back games; .289/.353/.444 line is made all the more impressive by his age.
- Chris Owings, SS, Diamondbacks (High-A Visalia): 3-for-4, 2B, HR (2), R, RBI, K. Tools are still impressive and is hitting .289/.319/.467 while repeating the level, but with two walks and 16 strikeouts, approach is still a major issue.
- James Paxton, LHP, Mariners (Double-A Jackson): 4.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 8 BB, 4 K. All the strikes he threw in his first two starts went away; 33 balls and 26 strikes last night.
- Gary Sanchez, C, Yankees (Low-A Charleston): 4-for-5, 2B, 2 RBI, K, SB. The good news is he's hitting .385 in 10 games and showing some minor progress behind the plate; the bad news is he's yet to go deep in 39 at-bats.
- Travis Snider, OF, Blue Jays (Triple-A Las Vegas): 1-for-3, RBI, K; 2-for-3, 2B, R; Up to .439/.489/.780 in 10 games; Vegas certainly helps, but was excellent this spring as well.
- Trevor Story, SS/3B, Rockies (Low-A Asheville): 3-for-5, 2B, HR (3), 3 R, 2 RBI. Supplemental first-round pick from last June can really hit; .333/.432/.639 in 11 games and bat should profile at third base in the end.
- Will Swanner, C, Rockies (Low-A Asheville): 3-for-4, 2B, 2 HR (2), 4 R, 7 RBI. Your box score line of the day; catcher has very real power but is well below-average defensively.
- Noah Syndergaard, RHP, Blue Jays (Low-A Lansing): 3 IP, 3H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K. 14 strikeouts in nine innings and 0.00 ERA; will look forward to seeing what he does once the training wheels come off.
- Matt Szczur, OF, Cubs (High-A Daytona): 4-for-5, R. Had just five hits in first 10 games and still looking for first extra-base hit; .214/.353/.214 in 11 games.
- Tyler Thornburg, RHP, Brewers (Double-A Huntsville): 7.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 11 K. Took perfect game into the eighth and is at 18.1 IP, 8 H, 3 BB, 24 K in first three starts. More details in upcoming scouting notebook.
- Joey Terdoslavich, 3B, Braves (Triple-A Gwinnett): 3-for-5, R, 2 K, SB. First three-hit game at Triple-A; scouts like the bat, but the glove . . . not so much.
- Kolbrin Vitek, 3B, Red Sox (Double-A Portland): 3-for-5, 2 2B, R. First-round pick has never stunk, yet to put up big numbers; .286/.340/.367 in 12 games.
- Christian Yelich, OF, Marlins (High-A Jupiter): 2-for-3, 3B, 2 R, 2 BB, K, SB. Picking up where he left off after missing early part of season with elbow injury; on-base seven times in first two games.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now