Lots going on, so a very high threshold today . . .
- Pedro Alvarez, 3B, Pirates (Triple-A Indianapolis): 4-for-4, RBI. 9-for-12 in last three games and .370/.444/.543 in 13 games since return to minors.
- Matt Carpenter, 3B, Cardinals (Triple-A Memphis): 5-for-6, 2 2B, R, K. I'm frankly shocked that a guy with a .282/.431/.449 line hasn't gotten more love from the performance-minded folks.
- Garin Cecchini, 3B, Red Sox (Short-season Lowell): 4-for-5, 2B, 3 R, RBI, SB. Has raised batting average from .215 to .272 by going 11-for-24 in six games; .272/.364/.476 overall.
- James Darnell, 3B, Padres (Triple-A Tucson): 4-for-5, HR (4), 3 R, RBI, 2 BB. Enjoying Tucson as much as everyone else; .325/.413/.650 in ten games since promotion.
- Chris Davis, 3B/1B/OF, Rangers (Triple-A Round Rock): 3-for-5, HR (22), 3 R, 3 RBI, 2 K. Another one of those guys where it's hard to tell if he's a trade chip or part of the future (or both); .359/.399/.801 in 45 games.
- Brandon Erbe, RHP, Orioles (Rookie-level GCL): 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K. Season-debut for once highly recorded prospect returning from surgery.
- Johnny Giovatella, 2B, Royals (Triple-A Omaha): 3-for-7, RBI, 2 K. What is it with American League teams not calling up second basemen who are clearly ready? .337/.392/.483 in 95 games.
- Aaron Hicks, OF, Twins (High-A Ft. Myers): 3-for-5, 2B, 2 R, RBI, K. Has been streaky all year; .272/.380/.415 in 81 games.
- Ryan Lavarnway, C, Red Sox (Triple-A Pawtucket): 2-for-3, 2B, HR (11), 3 R, 3 RBI. Hottest hitter in the minors; 16-for-26 with six home runs in his last seven games and hitting .388/.460/.760 in 32 Triple-A games.
- Alex Liddi, 3B, Mariners (Triple-A Tacoma): 3-for-5, 2 3B, HR (20), 3 R, 6 RBI, BB, 2 K. Slugging .837 in July and hitting .264/.340/.511 overall in 91 games.
- Devin Mesoraco, C, Reds (Triple-A Louisville): 3-for-5, HR (10), R, RBI. While it's not the way Reds fans wait it, further slippage in the NL Central could lead to seeing Mesaraco sooner.
- Nick Ramirez, 1B, Brewers (Rookie-level Helena): 3-for-6, 2 HR (7), 3 R, 5 RBI, K. Hottest hitter in the half-season leagues; 17-for-31 with five home runs in last six games.
- Trayvon Robinson, OF, Dodgers (Triple-A Albuquerque): 2-for-4, HR (25), R, 3 RBI, K. Home runs in four straight games lift him to .304/.379/.581.
- Miguel Sano, 3B/SS, Twins (Rookie-level Elizabethton): 3-for-4, 2 HR (5), 2 R, 2 RBI, K. 18-year-old is hitting .289/.328/.579 in 28 games, but he's probably bound for the outfield sooner than initially expected.
- Kevan Smith, C, White Sox (Rookie-level Bristol): 3-for-4, 2 HR (6), 3 R, 4 RBI, BB. Seventh-round pick is mashing at .407/.480/.733, but he's also 23 year-old and in the Appy League.
- Will Smith, LHP, Royals (Double-A Northwest Arkansas): 7 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 5 K. First part of combined no-hitter; Texas League still hitting .296 against him this year.
- Matt Szczur, OF, Cubs (High-A Daytona): 2-for-5, HR (1), R, RBI. Fifth straight two-hit game and first High-A home run; .314/.333/.429 in seven games.
- Dickie Thon, SS, Blue Jays (Rookie-level GCL): 2-for-3, HR (1), R, 2 RBI, K. First pro home run for big budget 2010 draftee; .286/.408/.365 in 22 games.
- Keenyn Walker, OF, White Sox (Rookie-level Great Falls): 2-for-4, 2B, 2 R, 3 RBI. Top White Sox pick has eight of 14 hits going for extra bases; .389/.450/.639 in first nine pro games.
- Tim Wheeler, OF, Rockies (Double-A Tulsa): 1-for-5, HR (28), 2 R, 2 RBI, 4 K. Six home runs in last seven games has him tied for the minor league lead; .312/.395/.619 in 93 games.
- Joe Wieland, RHP, Rangers (Double-A Frisco): 7 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 7 K. 1.86 ERA in five Texas League starts; stock rising quickly.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now