The star-studded rotation at the Phillies' High-A affiliate has failed to live up to expectations on a performance level, with May being the exception. At 6-foot-5 and 215 pounds, May certainly looks like a stud starter, and he backs up the first impression with 92-96 mph heat to go with a curveball and changeup that both flash as plus. When he throws strikes he's capable of dominating, and with last night's outing, he now has 102 strikeouts in 78 innings to go with a 3.23 ERA in 14 starts.
Others Of Note:
- Brandon Allen, 1B, Diamondbacks (Triple-A Reno): 2-for-3, 3B, HR (13), 2 R, 2 RBI, K. Home runs in three straight days and up to .299/.427/.552 overall.
- Ryan Brett, 2B, Rays (Rookie-level Princeton): 2-for-3, 2 3B, 3 R, RBI, BB, K. 2010 third-round pick is another short second base with a good hit tool; 6-for-7 in first two games.
- Lonnie Chisenhall, 3B, Indians (Triple-A Columbus): 4-for-6, 3B, HR (6), 2 R, 6 RBI, K. First game back from concussion; .261/.349/.420 overall.
- Caleb Cowart, 3B, Angels (Rookie-level Orem): 2-for-4, R, K. 2010 first-rounder is 7-for-12 with three straight multi-hit games to start the year.
- Chris Dominguez, 3B, Giants (Double-A Richmond): 3-for-4, 2 2B, 3B, R, RBI, K. Just 5-for-22 since moving up to Double-A, but all five hits are for extra bases.
- Granden Goetzman, OF, Rays (Rookie-level GCL Rays): 2-for-3, 2B, R, 2 RBI, K, 2 SB. Pro debut for 2011 second-round pick; big and toolsy.
- Grant Green, SS, Athletics (Double-A Midland): 2-for-2, HR (4), R, 2 BB, CS. 11-for-21 with two home runs in last five games to raise OPS 57 points; .293/.344/.407 overall.
- Gorkys Hernandez, OF, Pirates (Triple-A Indianapolis): 2-for-5, 3B, 3 RBI, 2 K. Hitting .338 in June and up to .292/.342/.391 overall; with plus-plus defense in center field, he's definitely a prospect.
- Aaron Hicks, OF, Twins (High-A Fort Myers): 3-for-4, 2B, 3B, R, RBI, K. Coming on strong with a .478 OBP in 15 June games; .274/.384/.409 overall.
- Corban Joseph, 2B, Yankees (Double-A Trenton): 3-for-4, 2B, R, RBI, BB. Hitting .357 in June and .294/.373/.457 overall; scouts that like him think he can hit something like that in the big leagues one day.
- Wagner Mateo, OF, Diamondbacks (Rookie-level AZL Diamondbacks): 2-for-5, HR (1), R, RBI, 2 K. First state-side home run for former Cardinals $3M+ bonus baby who had dail voided due to madican checks (eyes); also five Ks in eight ABs.
- Griffin Murphy, LHP, Blue Jays (Rookie-level GCL Blue Jays): 5 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 7 K. Pro debut for 2010 second-round pick; lefty with pro body and three average-to-plus pitches.
- Jerry Sands, OF, Dodgers (Triple-A Albuquerque): 2-for-4, HR (7), R, RBI, 2 K. Hit five home runs in 10 games before promotion to big leagues, but just two in 14 games since getting sent back down.
- Tanner Scheppers, RHP, Rangers (Double-A Frisco): 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K. Dominating in first outing after back injuries three days ago, but just 12 of 28 pitches went for strikes last night.
- Cory Spangenberg, 2B, Padres (Short-season Eugene): 0-for-1, 3 BB, R, K, 2 SB, CS. Highest pick to be signed and playing has been a walking machine; .607 OBP by going 5-for-15 with 10 walks.
- Eric Thames, OF, Blue Jays (Triple-A Las Vegas): 4-for-6, R, 2 RBI, K. Has a 1000+ OPS in all three months and overall line of .352/.423/.610 in 53 games; deserves another big league look.
- Mike Trout, OF, Angels (Double-A Arkansas): 3-for-5, 2 2B, 4 R, K. Yes, runs don't matter, but he's scored 19 in his last 12 games while hitting .408 to up his season line to .324/.424/.557.
- Tim Wheeler, OF, Rockies (Double-A Tulsa): 1-for-3, HR (18), R, 2 RBI, K. Has slowed significantly with .247/.337/.459 June that includes a bounty of strikeouts; still .310/.392/.587 overall.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now