Just a quick one, as I'm heading to Iowa for the Midwest League All-Star Game . . .
- Stetson Allie, RHP, Pirates (Short-season State College): 2.1 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 BB, 3 K. Pro debut for big over slot pitcher from last year; got into the mid-90s, but control problems persist.
- Eric Arnett, RHP, Brewers (Rookie-level Pioneer): 6 IP, 8 H, 4 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 5 K. Encouraging showing for 2009 first-round pick who fell apart mechanically in 2010.
- Caleb Cowart, 3B, Angels (Rookie-level Pioneer): 2-for-4, 2B, 2 RBI, K. Season-debut for 2010 first-round pick.
- Chris Davis, 3B/OF, Rangers (Triple-A Round Rock): 2-for-3, 2 HR (14), 2 R, 3 RBI, BB, K. 14 home runs in 99 at-bats as part of .364/.414/.869 line; has played four of last six game in left field to prove versatility to Rangers or potential suitors?
- Matt Dominguez, 3B, Marlins (Triple-A New Orleans): 2-for-4, R. Has been showing signs of life offensively to go with the always outstanding defense; up to .270/.339/.441 in 31 games.
- Robbie Erlin, LHP, Rangers (Double-A Frisco): 4.2 IP, 8 H, 4 R, 1 BB, 3 K. Has given up six home runs in 29 innings, but too many strikes is affecting him at upper levels as well.
- Johnny Giavotella, 2B, Royals (Triple-A Omaha): 2-for-4; Hitting .409 (36-for-88) in his last 20 games and .321/.377/.445 on the season; as aggressive as the Royals have been, it's hard to picture him being here much longer.
- Matt Hobgood, RHP, Orioles (Rookie-level GCL Orioles): 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K. Season-debut for 2009 first-round pick trying to come back from shoulder issues.
- Desmond Jennings, OF, Rays (Triple-A Durham): 2-for-4, HR (10), R, 2 RBI, K. Already one away from a career-high home run mark; Sam Fuld is adorable, but the fact that he's in the majors and Jennings is not is a bit confusing.
- Tommy Mendonca, 3B, Rangers (Double-A Frisco): 2-for-3, HR (15), 2 R, 3 RBI, K. 26-for-49 (.531) in last 11 games and up to .332/.382/.599 overall, and improved approach goes more reason to think there is some level of reality here.
- Joe Panik, SS, Giants (Short-season Salem-Keizer): 3-for-5, 2B, 2 R, K, CS. First-round pick from two weeks ago signed quickly and is 10-for-17 in his first four pro games.
- Trayvon Robinson, OF, Dodgers (Triple-A Albuquerque): 2-for-4, HR (16), R, 2 RBI, K. One away from career high in home runs and .317/.382/.578 overall; struggles against lefties and high strikeout rate are the concerns.
- Ruben Sierra, OF, Rangers (Short-season Spokane): 3-for-5, 2B, 2 R, 5 RBI. Son of former Rangers star as plenty of tools, rough approach.
- Donovan Tate, OF, Padres (Short-season Eugene): 3-for-5, R, 2 RBI, 2 K SB. Please stay healthy for an extended time so we can figure out what you are.
- Julio Teheran, RHP, Braves (Triple-A Gwinnett): 8 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 0 BB, 8 K. In his last three starts, he's allowed 11 hits over 23 innings with 22 strikeouts and zero walks; 1.83 ERA overall in 12 games.
- Adam Warren, RHP, Yankees (Triple-A Scranton): 7 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 8 K. Has allowed just two runs and 11 hits over 23 innings in his last three starts, so why did the Yankees have to scramble to pick up Brian Gordon again?
- Mason Williams, OF, Yankees (Short-season Staten Island): 2-for-3, R, SB. $1.45 million fourth-round pick from last year is a burner with outstanding defense and a 7-for-16 mark after four games.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now