Signed to a seven-figure bonus in 2008, Domoromo was more of a “wait and see” prospect entering the year after a sub-standard showing in the Northwest League, but he's generating considerable buzz in his full-season debut, as the 19-year-old Venezuelan is hitting .324/.405/.465 in his first 20 games. He's not a pure tools player, as he's merely an average runner and defender, but one scout called his swing among the best he's seen in the league, and when combined with a surprisingly mature approach, he's currently has more walks (11) than strikeouts (10) in 71 at-bats. No more waiting, no we are seeing.
Others Of Note:
- Matt Adams, 1B, Cardinals (Double-A Springfield): 5-for-6, HR (14), 3 R, 2 RBI. Has 20 total bases in last three games and is up to .333/.373/.655 overall; Bat only fat guy, but it's looking more and more real.
- Jose Altuve, 2B, Astros (High-A Lancaster): 3-for-5, 3B, R. 16-for-28 (.571) during seven-game hitting streak and up to .398/.442/.570 overall; hitting streak also corresponds with appearing on the podcast.
- Xavier Avery, OF, Orioles (Double-A Bowie): 2-for-5, 3B, 2 R. Nine-game hitting streak has batting average up 36 points to .255/.318/.321.
- Dellin Bentances, RHP, Yankees (Double-A Trenton): 6 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 10 K. Season-high in both innings and strikeouts; More strikeouts (39) than hits plus walks (22+16=38) in 34.2 innings.
- Michael Choice, OF, Athletics (High-A Stockton): 2-for-5, 2 HR (9), 3 R, 3 RBI, BB, K. Plenty of power, plenty of walks, plenty of whiffs; .247/.360/.488 in 42 games.
- Jarred Cosart, RHP, Phillies (High-A Clearwater): 5.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 9 K. Has allowed seven hits over 20.2 innings in last three starts while striking out 20; 2.87 ERA in 10 starts.
- Sean Coyle, 2B, Red Sox (Low-A Greenville): 2-for-4, 2B, HR (5), R, 3 RBI, BB, K. Coming on strong after ugly April; .300 in last ten games and .243/.385/.505 overall.
- Zack Cox, 3B, Cardinals (Double-A Springfield): 2-for-3, 2 R, RBI, BB, K. Double-A debut after hitting .418 (28-for-67) in last 18 Florida State League games.
- Jarek Cunningham, 3B, Pirates (High-A Bradenton): 3-for-4, 2B, HR (11), R, 2 RBI. Home runs in back-to-back games and .298/.339/.631 overall in 42 games.
- James Darnell, 3B, Padres (Double-A San Antonio): 3-for-4, 2 2B, HR (10), R, RBI. On yet another roll; 10-for-20 in last five games with 20 total bases and .377/.479/.686 overall.
- Delino DeShields, 2B, Astros (Low-A Lexington): 2-for-5, 3B, 3 R, 2 RBI, BB, K. Six-game hitting streak has averages up to more respectable .242/.320/.401; scouting reports are better than the numbers.
- Nick Franklin, SS/2B, Mariners (High-A High Desert): 5-for-6, HR (4), 2 R, 3 RBI. OPS up 50 points in one night to .272/.366/.438; still hitting just .189 away from High Desert.
- Christian Friedrich, LHP, Rockies (Double-A Tulsa): 1.2 IP, 7 H, 10 R (2 ER), 3 BB, K. For you old school readers that have been with me since the days of The Prospect Report, “Ooooof.”
- Paul Goldschmidt, 1B, Diamondbacks (Double-A Mobile): 2-for-4, HR (16), 2 R, RBI; 2-for-7, 2B, BB, 2 K. Has yet to slow down; .335/.466/.696 in 45 games.
- Mycal Jones, OF, Braves (Double-A Mississippi): 3-for-5, 2B, 3 R, 2 RBI, SB. Moved to centerfield this year and hitting .276/.436/.552 in his first nine games of the year.
- Casey Kelly, RHP, Padres (Double-A San Antonio): 6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 5 K. Best start of the year lowers ERA to 3.83 in ten games; has been highly inconsistent, but scouts still project good No. 3 starter.
- Barret Loux, RHP, Rangers (High-A Myrtle Beach): 6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 5 K. Last year's draft soap opera victim has been healthy and good; .223 opponent batting average and 52 Ks in 47.2 innings.
- Starling Marte, OF, Pirates (Double-A Altoona): 2-for-4, 2 2B, K. Six multi-hit efforts in last eight and .335/.364/.476 overall; impressive defense with speed and gap power could be enough to make up for few walks.
- Chris Owings, SS, Diamondbacks (High-A Visalia): 4-for-5, 2 2B, 2 R, RBI. Has been a disappointment after impressive spring training; 10-for-25 during five-game hitting streak and .257/.297/.424 overall.
- Jurickson Profar, SS, Rangers (Low-A Hickory): 1-for-1, R, 2 BB, HBP. Eight hits in last 11 at bats and on base 13 times in his last 16 plate appearances; .275/.405/.517 in 34 games and nearly four months younger than Bryce Harper.
- Kyle Russell, OF, Dodgers (Double-A Chattanooga): 3-for-5, 2B, 2 HR (8), 3 R, 4 RBI, K. Four home runs in last three games and .299/.352/.573 overall; contact is still a huge issue with 55 strikeouts in 45 games.
- Edward Salcedo, 3B, Braves (Low-A Rome): 1-for-3, 2 R, 2 K, 4 E. Has certainly improved with the bat, but 20 errors over 41 games in the field is quite the red flag.
- Jake Smolinski, OF, Marlins (Double-A Jacksonville): 2-for-4, HR (5), 2 R, 3 RBI, BB. Under-the-radar guy who has his fans among scouts; slugging .590 in May and hitting .282/.384/.476 overall.
- Angelo Songco, OF, Dodgers (High-A Rancho Cucamonga): 5-for-7, 2B, 3B, HR (6), 4 R, 4RBI, K. Nice cycle in a 25-9 thumping of Lancaster; ceiling is fourth outfielder.
- Tyler Townsend, 1B, Orioles (High-A Frederick): 4-for-4, RBI, CS. 9-for-17 in last four games and .309/.331/.564 overall; needs to stay healthy, and at 23, he needs a bigger challenge.
- Josh Vitters, 3B, Cubs (Double-A Tennessee): 2-for-5, 2B, R, RBI, K. Hitting .300 in May and up to .271/.311/.439 overall; I'd say be optimistic, but every time I do that he slumps again.
- Tim Wheeler, OF, Rockies (Double-A Tulsa): 2-for-3, 2 R, RBI, 2 BB, K, SB. Hitting .370 overall and .320/.401/.623 overall in 44 games; has outside shot at 30-30 year with 12 home runs and nine stolen bases.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now