Just some quick notes from yesterday's action . . .
- Dustin Ackley, 2B, Mariners (AFL: Javelinas): 4-for-4, HR (3), 2 R, 2 RBI. 8-for-12 in last three games with 15 total bases; hitting .417/.560/.750 in 11 games; only bad news is defense still suspect.
- Brandon Belt, 1B, Giants (AFL: Scorpions): 2-for-3, HR (1), 3 R, RBI, BB. 10-for-18 in last four games and finally went deep; .364/.407/.545 in 14 contests.
- Brad Emaus, 3B, Blue Jays (DWL: Toros): 2-for-3, 2B, 2 RBI, BB, K. Back on the map after bounce-back year; could project as future 2B/3B utility type.
- Eduardo Escobar, SS, White Sox (AFL Saguaros): 4-for-5, 2 2B, 3B, 2 R, 2 RBI. One of the better fielding shortstops in the minors has made six errors already in AFL; if this is a real offensive step forward, he's one of the best prospects in the system.
- Eric Hurley, RHP, Rangers (AFL: Rafters): 5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K. Some very encouraging signs from oft-injured, once highly regarded arm; has been getting into low 90s.
- Jason Kipnis, 2B, Indians (AFL: Javelinas): 2-for-5, HR (3), 2 R, 2 RBI, K, SB. Hitting just .184, but six of nine hits have gone for extra bases.
- Carlos Peguero, OF, Mariners (DWL: Tigrey): 1-for-3, HR (2), 2 R, RBI, B, 2 K. Hitting .367/.406/.633 after brutal second half of regular season; tons of power, tons of Ks.
- Mark Trumbo, 1B/3B, Magallanes (VEN: Navegantes): 2-for-4, 2B, HR (5), 2 R, 3 RBI. Leads Venezuela in slugging and extra-base hits. Ignore the fact that he's playing third over there – he's not even a good first baseman.
- Brandon Wood, 3B, Angels (AFL: Solar Sox): 3-for-5, 2B, R, 2 RBI. Hitting .317/.362/.460 in 15 games; will he get another chance with the Angels? With anyone?