Looking very much over the hand troubles that bothered him all year, Norris' home run was estimated by a scout in attendance to travel somewhere in the neighborhood of 450 feet. Short and exceptionally quick to the ball, Norris' power, combined with elite on-base skills should make him an offensive catcher of the highest order, but he still needs that tag, as behind the plate, he merely qualifies as potentially acceptable. Which leaves the question, after watching some teams get exposed in the playoffs due to poor defensive catcher, will defensive prowess behind the plate become the next market inefficiency?
Others Of Note:
- Manny Banuelos, LHP, Yankees (AFL: Desert Dogs): 3 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 1 BB, 4 K. Tough assignment for any 19 year old; league is hitting .355 off the lefty.
- Charles Blackman, OF, Rockies (AFL: Scorpions): 2-for-4, HR (3), 3 R, RBI. Home runs in back-to-back games; has power, speed and deserves more attention than he gets.
- Adron Chambers, OF, Cardinals (AFL: Rafters): 3-for-3, 2 R, BB, 3 SB. Ultra-athletic sleeper in Cardinals system; inablility to play center likely casts him as future bench outfielder.
- Johermyn Chavez, OF, Mariners (VZ: Navegantes): 2-for-4, HR (2), R, RBI, BB, 2 K. Showing patience and hitting ability away from High Desert; size and power should work in any park.
- Jarrod Dyson, OF, Royals (PR: Senadores): 3-for-5, R, CS. Royals could use an every day center fielder, Dyson is seen more as a future provider of speed and defense off the bench.
- Eduardo Escobar, SS, White Sox (AFL: Sagauros): 2-for-4, 3B, 2 R, RBI, 2 BB, K. The more scouts see him, the more there is too like with plus defense and enough hitting ability to play every day.
- Conor Gillaspie, 3B, Giants (AFL: Scorpions): 4-for-4, 2 HR (2), 2 R, 2 RBI. Lack of power is what keeps scouts from seeing him as a big league third baseman; one two-homer game isn't going to change that.
- Josh Harrison, 2B/OF, Pirates (AFL: Solar Sox): 3-for-5, 2B, R, RBI, SB. 13-for-19 in last four games with five doubles, two triples and a home run; very small, but can really hit.
- Devin Mesoraco, C, Reds (AFL: Saguaros): 2-for-4, 2 2B, R, RBI, BB, 2 K. Could compete in spring training for a big league job.
- Carlos Perez, LHP (DOM: Tigres): 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K. Nope, not the Braves prospect, but rather the 39-year-old former Expo and Dodgers. Ain't life grand?
- Martin Perez, LHP, Rangers (VZ: Navegantes): 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 5 K. Good news for Rangers fans!
- Ben Revere, OF, Twins (AFL: Saguaros): 3-for-6, 2 R, 3 RBI, 2 K, SB. Hitting .411 and a perfect 8-for-8 in the stolen base department; will be interesting to see how much big league time he gets in '11.
- Mark Trumbo, 1B, Angels (VZ: Navegantes): 3-for-3, 2 HR (4), 2 R, 6 RBI, BB. Hitting .345/.422/.673 in 15 games; league leader in total bases will get long look in spring.