Bryce Harper, RF, Nationals (AFL: Scorpions): 1-for-4, 2B, 2 RBI.
The Arizona Fall League has had it's fair share of debuts, but none as anticipated as Harper's. Just five days after celebrating his 18th birthday, Harper looked like he belonged in a league filled with nearly big-league ready prospects. His one hit was a two-run double that just missed being a home run, he had a pair of hard hit balls for outs, and at no time did he seem over-matched. He's a tremendous talent made even more so by his age, and while his limited availability (he'll play just two games a week) won't give us much statistically, just one game gave many scouts enough to believe.
Others Of Note:
- Dustin Ackley, 2B, Mariners (AFL: Javelinas): 3-for-6, 2B, 3 R, 2 K. First game back after missing a week with a finger injury; has reached base six times in 12 plate appearances.
- Hank Conger, C, Angels (VEN: Navegantes): 0-for-4, 2 K. Just 3-for-20 in six games, but here more to work on defense.
- Dan Cortes, RHP, Mariners (VEN: Cardenales): 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K. Venezuela league is 1-for-13 against him; Mariners system is rich in power bullpen arms.
- Brandon Guyer, OF, Cubs (VEN: Tigres): 3-for-5, R, K. 13-for-34 (.382) in eight games; athleticism to go with the bat makes him a very real prospect.
- Jeremy Moore, OF, Angels (AFL: Solar Sox): 3-for-5, 2 2B, R, RBI, 2 K, SB. Power, speed, and hack-tastic approach that might not every allow the tools to truly shine.
- Cord Phelps, 3B, Indians (AFL: Javelinas): 2-for-4, R, RBI, 2 BB, K, SB. More important than the 5-for-13 mark in Arizona is the position; moving over to accommodate Jason Kipnis?
- Kyle Skipworth, C, Marlins (AFL: Desert Dogs): 2-for-4, HR (1), R, RBI. Aggressive assignment for 20-year-old who has yet to conquer Low-A pitching; power still impresses.
- Josh Vitters, 3B, Cubs (AFL: Solar Sox): 2-for-3, 2B, R, BB. 8-for-26 with 13 total bases and just two strikeouts; would be good to see him finish year on high note.