Hey folks. Lots of stuff going on today, so a bullet-only list today of guys who really caught my eye. Also, are there players that have not been mentioned of late that you as a reader are wondering about? I might not answers immediately in the comments, but I'll certainly take a note of your requests.
- Chris Archer, RHP, Cubs (Double-A Tennessee): 7 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 8 K. Southern League is batting .169 against him after eight starts with 0.58 ERA; above-average velocity and movement on fastball to go with greatly improved secondary stuff.
- Jesse Biddle, LHP, Phillies (Rookie-level GCL Phillies): 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K. First-round pick has been outstanding of late; 19 IP, 11 H, 3 BB, 26 K in last four starts.
- Jake Brigham, RHP, Rangers (Low-A Hickory): 9 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 12 K. Easily the pitching performance of the night as he gave up two hits to start the game and was perfect from there; fastball and curve both rate as plus.
- Cody Buckel, RHP, Rangers (Rookie-level AZL Rangers): 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K. Pro debut for second-round pick; undersized righty but plus stuff and command.
- Aroldis Chapman, LHP, Reds (Triple-A Louisville): 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K. Coming soon to a Reds bullpen by you.
- Randall Delgado, RHP, Braves (Double-A Mississippi): 4 IP, 7 H, 6 R, 3 BB, 1 K. Hitting a bit of a wall at Double-A; 6.50 ERA in four starts and 33 base runners allowed in 18 frames.
- Matt Dominguez, 3B, Marlins (Double-A Jacksonville): 3-for-5, 2B, 3 RBI. 10-for-21 with ten RBIs in last five games; .251/.330/.414 overall.
- Lucas Duda, OF/1B, Mets (Triple-A Buffalo): 2-for-4, HR (15), 2 R, RBI, BB. 12-for-29 during seven-game hitting streak and up to a shocking .321/.391/.663.
- Mat Gamel, 3B, Brewers (Triple-A Nashville): 3-for-5, 3 2B, 2 R, RBI, K. Hitting .405/.444/.619 in last ten games while spending some time at first base and right field.
- Dee Gordon, SS, Dodgers (Double-A Chattanooga): 2-for-5, 2 3B, 3 R, RBI. Batting .349/.388/.488 in ten August games.
- Desmond Jennings, OF, Rays (Triple-A Durham): 2-for-3, 2B, 3 R, 2 BB, K, SB. 280/.354/.406 line has fallen short of expectations.
- Mychal Jones, SS, Tigers (High-A Myrtle Beach): 2-for-4, 2 HR (5), 3 R, 2 RBI. Ultra-athletic but quite raw for 23; .278/.343/.420 since promotion to Carolina League.
- Andrew Lambo, OF, Pirates (Double-A Atloona): 3-for-4, R, RBI, BB. 13-for-32 since trade with .406/.472/.594 line; also 10 Ks so a bit fluky.
- Melky Mesa, OF, Yankees (High-A Tampa): 1-for-3, HR (17), 3 R, 2 RBI, 2 BB, SB. Again, he's a bit old for the level and he strikes out too much, but 17 home runs and 30 stolen bases in the Florida State League is hard to ignore.
- Devin Mesoraco, C, Reds (Double-A Carolina): 3-for-5, HR (13), 2 R, 2 RBI, K. On another power streak with three home runs in last five games; overall line of .293/.367/.598.
- Jio Mier, SS, Astros (Low-A Lexington): 3-for-5, 2B, 3B, 3 R, 2 R, 2 K, SB. Season-long disappointment is hitting a bit more of late, but still at just .229/.310/.302.
- Jesus Montero, C, Yankees (Triple-A Scranton/WB): 3-for-4, HR (14), R, RBI. One of the hottest hitters in the minors with third straight three-hit game and .413/.473/.775 line since the All-Star break.
- Wil Myers, C, Royals (High-A Wilmington): 2-for-4, 2B, 2 RBI, CS. Can't keep OBP at .500; down to .395/.493/.521.
- Rudy Owens, LHP, Pirates (Double-A Atloona): 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K. Just six hits allowed over 17 innings in last three starts; won't dominate like this in the big leagues, but will almost certainly get there.
- Francisco Peguero, OF, Giants (High-A San Jose): 3-for-6, 2 2B, R, K, CS. Ten hits in last four games and overall line of .316/.348/.480; long line of Giants hitters seeing numbers collapse at Double-A gives pause.
- Adrian Salcedo, RHP, Twins (Rookie-level Elizabethton): 4 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 H. Part of tandem-start game, thus the inning count; 58 Ks, 8 BB in 56.1 innings and while outstanding command is obvious, stuff is above average as well.
- Gary Sanchez, C, Yankees (Rookie-level GCL Yankees): 2-for-5, HR (6), R, 2 RBI, K. 17-year-old Dominican is up to .359/.424/.621; some feel he's the best hitter in Rookie ball.
- Luis Sardinas, SS, Rangers (Rookie-level AZL Rangers): 3-for-4, 2B, R. 17-year-old Venezuelan signed for $1.2 million based on plus-plus defensive projection and line-drive bat.
- Gio Soto, LHP, Indians (Low-A Lake County): 7 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 9 K. Lefty acquired in Peralta deal has allowed just six hits in 18 innings while striking out 20 since deal; not the kind of numbers you'd expect from a guy who throws 85-87 mph.
- Jacob Turner, RHP, Tigers (High-A Lakeland): 5.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K. Best Florida State League start for 19-year-old fireballer.
- Sebastian Valle, C, Phillies (Low-A Lakewood): 2-for-4, 2B, HR (15), 2 R, 3 RBI. Ultra-streaky catcher has slugged either .500+ or under .400 in each month this season.
- Jordan Zimmermann, RHP, Nationals (Triple-A Syracuse): 4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K. Seven one-hit innings at Triple-A now; should be ready for big leagues soon.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now