The Detroit Tigers are currently seeking a Data Quality Engineer, Baseball Data Infrastructure. This role will be responsible for designing, managing, and automating data quality processes across our disparate data sources to support Baseball Operations initiatives. This position will report to the Director, Baseball Data Infrastructure.
- Design, implement, and use data quality assurance frameworks to support the process of identifying inconsistent data patterns.
- Work with Tigers data engineers and data scientists to implement good data hygiene practices and procedures in our data pipelines.
- Work with external data vendors to triage and remedy data quality issues.
- Automate and execute test cases in data pipelines and manage data issue tracking.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- 2+ years of relevant work experience in data analysis and engineering using SQL and Python
- Knowledgeable with data strategies and practices, such as continuous integration, regression testing, and versioning.
- Experience querying SQL data warehouses built for data science and analytics.
- Familiarity with cloud computing, cloud storage, and cloud services.
- Understanding of data quality frameworks and best practices for implementation
- Passion for baseball and familiarity with current baseball research.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Strong SQL skills (T-SQL preferred).
- Effective communication skills with an ability to explain technical concepts to developers and business partners.
- Experience using Apache Spark (Databricks on Azure preferred).
- Experience in generating reports and visuals on large data sources.
- Experience with DevOps practices for CI\CD pipelines.
- Familiarity with open-source data quality frameworks (Great Expectations preferred).
- Familiarity with Airflow.
- Office environment.
- The location may be based in Detroit or fully remote.
- Occasional evening, weekend, and holiday hours may be required.
The above is intended to describe the essential job functions, the general supplemental functions, and the essential requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of all additional duties, responsibilities, or nonessential requirements. Detroit Tigers, Inc. has the right to change, modify, suspend, interrupt, or cancel in whole or in part any job functions outlined in a job description at any time and without advance notice to the employee.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now