Pro Scouting, Assistant
BOSTON /BASEBALL OPERATIONS /FULL-TIME
This is an office-based position that works closely with department leadership to provide support across all areas of the Pro Scouting operation. These areas include but are not limited to administrative responsibilities, coordinating with scouts regarding daily questions or issues, and using all valuation materials to help drive progress in the player acquisition process. Additionally, the role helps manage intern support both for Pro Scouting and overall in Baseball Operations.
- Implement and improve processes across all areas of the operation.
- Generate and distribute target lists, working in collaboration with the pro acquisition team.
- Assist department heads in fully vetting all potential acquisitions.
- Work closely with remote scouting staff and help coordinate coverage assignments and responsibilities.
- Take an active role in independent league coverage optimization.
- Become a power user of internal systems and all valuation materials.
- Work closely with Pro Scouting and Baseball Analytics leadership, analysts, and other members of the acquisition team to probe analytical models and tools, identifying opportunities for improvement.
- Write video scouting reports and when schedule permits, live scouting reports.
- Own a heavy workload of administrative tasks including:
- Help manage the expense submission and approval process.
- Track scout schedules, report due dates, and missed targets.
- Maintain relevant lists of procedures and targets using various software tools.
- Troubleshoot software application issues for scouts and staff.
- Log relevant acquisition discussions and level of player interest expressed by other clubs.
- Flag inconsistencies in scouting reports.
- Coordinate meeting logistics.
- Contribute to the budget management process.
- Receive and handle internal scout ticket requests.
CHARACTERISTICS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Experience with various video applications like BATS, Synergy, etc.
- Strong time management skills.
- Ability to work evening, weekend, and holiday hours is a must.
- Strong communication skills.
- Interest and ability to evaluate players.
The Red Sox (or FSM) requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment, subject to applicable legal requirements.
Prospective employees will receive consideration without discrimination based on race, religious creed, color, sex, age, national origin, handicap, disability, military/veteran status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or protected genetic information.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now